Saturday, March 24, 2018

google plus

Posted at: Jan 4, 2018, 2:25 AM; last updated: Jan 4, 2018, 2:25 AM (IST)

Asha Jaswal, Sood slam BJP in-charge, party nominee

Say written preference of 14 councillors not considered

Sandeep Rana

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, January 3

Outgoing Mayor Asha Kumari Jaswal and former Mayor Arun Sood accused party in-charge Prabhat Jha and other leaders, who were involved in the selection of Davesh Moudgil, of not considering the written preference of 14 councillors and also ignoring the party president’s views.

After filling nominations papers, both city party president Sanjay Tandon group’s Jaswal and Sood lashed out at them as well as at Moudgil.

“The stand of councillors was not considered. They lied to us that it was the decision of the party high command to nominate him (Moudgil) and took the decision by their own. Fourteen councillors clearly told they wanted a Mayor minus Moudgil,” Jaswal said.

Referring to Moudgil, she went on to say: “We want such a person who thinks of party’s interest and not the one who is in the favour of scam-ridden Selvel. He did not invite the Mayor and the city party president in his events.”

She said the in-charge refused to consider their stand and did not even take the version of the core committee. Jaswal is also member of this committee.

Councillor Sood said: “We were insulted and humiliated. The leader against whom 13 councillors wrote demanding disciplinary proceedings is being nominated as the Mayor and this is not acceptable to us. I am a soldier of the BJP, but it is not the party’s decision. We will complaint against it in Delhi.”

Another councillor in the same group clarified the Mayor elections are not held on the party symbol so they are in the party and not against it.

Davesh Moudgil denied the allegations saying he has been a disciplined party member.

“It was the same in-charge, when they were nominated, why they are making issues now? I accept the party’s decision.”

Meanwhile, Jha told Chandigarh Tribune that, “These are emotionally charged statements said at one movement. I think they will fall in line and will withdraw their nominations finally. They are releasing such statements in anger.”

No councillor to be allowed to carry cellphone

No councillor will be allowed to carry mobile phone during the Mayoral elections to be held on January 9. Sources said an order in this regard had been issued by the Deputy Commissioner with an aim to ensure fair elections. 


All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On