Thursday, November 23, 2017
facebook

google plus
Nation

Posted at: Sep 14, 2017, 8:32 PM; last updated: Sep 14, 2017, 8:32 PM (IST)

Parents move SC for CBI probe into their son’s death at school

Parents move SC for CBI probe into their son’s death at school
The matter was mentioned before a Bench headed by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, which posted it for hearing on September 18. File photo

Satya Prakash

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, September 14

More than a month after nine-year-old Arman Sehgal, a Class 4 student died at GD Goenka School at Indirapuram in Ghaziabad, his parents on Thursday moved the Supreme Court seeking a CBI probe into their son’s mysterious death.

The matter was mentioned before a Bench headed by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, which posted it for hearing on September 18.

Arman had allegedly died after a “fall” in school on August 1. His father Gulshan Sehgal lodged an FIR against school officials for culpable homicide not amounting to murder and destruction of evidence. Report of a magisterial probe ordered on August 4 was still awaited.

This is the second petition filed this week by parents of school students seeking CBI probe into death of their children. On Monday, the top court had sought replies from the Centre, Haryana Government, CBI and CBSE on a petition filed by the father of eight-year-old Pradyuman – a Class 2 student, whose throat was slit at Ryan International School in Gurgaon on September 8.

Pradyuman’s father has demanded safety guidelines for schools across India to check recurrence of such incidents. A conductor of a school bus has allegedly admitted to the crime.

Accusing school management of destroying evidence in the case, Gulshan Sehgal requested the court to ask the CBI or a special investigation team to take up the matter for a “thorough and fair investigation”.

School management, including the chairman, director and principal, have moved the Allahabad High Court seeking quashing of the FIR and the court had granted them interim protection from arrest and directed that no coercive action should be taken against them. He demanded a stay against the interim orders of the high court.

Accusing the Uttar Pradesh Police of not probing the case properly, Sehgal alleged that CCTV footage of the school was not kept according to the rules and certain videos had been deleted from the record.

Even after 45 days of the incident, he did not know the reason and circumstances under which his son died, Sehgal submitted. Sehgal said on August 1, he received a call from the school that his son had fallen in the corridor and was being taken to a hospital. But the hospital said the boy was declared ‘brought dead’.

 

COMMENTS

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On