Tuesday, March 19, 2002, Chandigarh, India


M A I N   N E W S

2nd autopsy on Natasha’s body
Tribune News Service And UNI

Jagat Singh, husband of Natasha Singh, comes out of Safdarjung Hospital
Jagat Singh, husband of Natasha Singh, comes out of Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi on Sunday. — PTI photo

New Delhi, March 18
In a new twist, family members of Natasha Singh today demanded a second autopsy on her body. Natasha Singh, the estranged daughter-in-law of former Union Minister Natwar Singh, was found dead in a luxury hotel under mysterious circumstances yesterday.

Since the post-mortem report failed to prove anything conclusive, the family members of Natasha wanted a fresh autopsy to be conducted at Safdarjung Hospital, the police said.

The three-member team for the second autopsy included Dr P.C. Dikshit and S.K. Khanna of Maulana Azad Medical College and Dr N. Bharadwaj of the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).

The first autopsy report of Natasha, who was found dead on the terrace garden of Hyatt Regeny yesterday, indicated that the death could have been caused due to a fall from a great height, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South-West) Taj Hassan said.

Contrary to earlier reports that she was shot and was hit by a sharp- edged weapon resulting in wounds on her body, the post-mortem report revealed that there were no bullet wounds on the body, the police said. But the first post-mortem report revealed that several of her ribs and other bones were broken, apparently due to a fall. The cremation, which was supposed to take place this afternoon, was put off due to the second autopsy.

The body of Natasha, a former model and freelance photographer, was found by an air conditioner technician of the Hyatt Regency in R.K. Puram at 5.55 a.m. on the first floor garden porch. The police was informed at 6.30 a.m. by the hotel’s security staff.

The police is questioning several people, including the staff of the hotel, in connection with the case. “The process of questioning has already started and we have examined several people including the maids of the deceased,’’ he said. Even her estranged husband, Jagat Singh, son of Mr Natwar Singh, had been questioned. He was called to the hotel in the morning and asked certain queries, Mr Hassan said.

Meanwhile, the brothers of Natasha Singh said they did not suspect any foul play. They met Jagat Singh today and said the two families had cordial relations.

Mr Hassan justified registering a case of murder in Natasha’s death saying, “If we had registered a case of suicide, it would have been questioned. Registering a case of murder has left all options open. Natasha’s family members want a fair investigation.”

He said Natasha’s ribs had pierced through the body creating impression of bullet wounds.

The DCP clarified that the whisky bottle was found on the rooftop of the hotel and not in the seventh floor as reported. He said the hotel staff were divided on the availability of access to the rooftop.

He, however, refused to answer any question on the possible time of her death and refrained from mentioning the names of people whose statements had been recorded saying all these were under investigation.

Mr Hassan said fingerprints had been lifted from Natasha’s mobile phone. “A number of phone calls were made from the mobile phone. Four of the SMS messages were traced to her husband Jagat Singh,” he said.

He said some of the occupied and unoccupied rooms in the hotel had been searched for any blood stains. ‘’Apart from Jagat Singh, we have recorded statements of eight to 10 friends of Natasha and the security and other staff of the hotel who were on duty on Saturday night.’’

Mr Hassan said the police had also talked to Coca Cola executive and Natasha’s friend Vinay Kapoor on the telephone. “We are yet to take his statement.”

Earlier, the police and the hospital authorities had to wait for long this morning, awaiting clearance from the Delhi Health Secretary for the second autopsy.

Meanwhile, Mr Natwar Singh today said his family had no objection to the second autopsy on Natasha’s body.

Mr Natwar Singh came to Safdarjung Hospital in the evening, accompanied by his daughter and some friends and spent about an hour there. He gave a letter to the hospital authorities, stating that his family had no objection to the carrying out of a second postmortem.Back

Home | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Editorial |
Business | Sport | World | Mailbag | In Spotlight | Chandigarh Tribune | Ludhiana Tribune
50 years of Independence | Tercentenary Celebrations |
122 Years of Trust | Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |