Saturday, August 24, 2002, Chandigarh, India


N C R   S T O R I E S


COBSE spells out agenda for education boards
Our Correspondent

New Delhi, August 23
Acknowledging the need for flexibility in curriculum and the use of information technology among other things, the Council of Boards of School Education in India (COBSE) has spelt out the agenda for state as well as national boards.

In a three-day convention organised in the Capital recently wherein 22 boards participated, the development of inter-disciplinary subjects like disaster management, population and environment education and updating the curriculum by devising modules based on latest development at the global level like bio-technology was agreed upon.

It was also recommended that 20 per cent of the marks should be earmarked for the evaluation of the co-scholastic achievements of the students while the remaining 80 per cent should be based on the scholastic performance. Grading, which is being touted as a major examination reform, also found many takers.

The participants also agreed upon the decentralisation with accountability and responsibility. Speaking at the convention, the Chairman, CBSE, Mr. Ashok Ganguly, stressed upon the need for flexibility and change to be introduced at all levels in the school.


NSUI seminar assesses challenges in 21st century
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, August 23
The Delhi state unit of National Students Union of India (NSUI) today organised a seminar in Delhi University on “Challenges of 21st Century”. Inaugurating the seminar, the AICC General Secretary, Mr Oscar Fernandes, underlined the need for arresting the population growth and identified the problem of unemployment as a burning issue.

The AICC general secretary, Mr Mukul Wasnik, advised the students to fight against communalism, nepotism, corruption and cautioned them against increasing terrorist activities all over the world.

Other prominent people present in the seminar were AICC secretary Sushila Tiriya, AICC secretary Devendra Tyagi and Delhi State NSUI president Kuntal Krishna.

Home | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Editorial |
Business | Sport | World | Mailbag | In Spotlight | Chandigarh Tribune | Ludhiana Tribune
50 years of Independence | Tercentenary Celebrations |
122 Years of Trust | Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |