IF you are fond of reading Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling, go ahead and test your vocabulary and command over magical words by completing the fill-in-the-blanks exercise with the following words:
Abracadabra, Alchemy, Amulet, Berserk, Clairvoyant, Covens, Dwarf, Harbinger, Legerdemain, Lycanthrope, Petrify, Raconteur, Sorcery, Specter, Superstition, Talisman, Troll.
1. Large black, hairy spiders _____ Charles' aunt who begins to tremble, then screams loudly when she just sees one!
2. My Dad always carries a special _____ in his pocket - a gold coin that he believes brings him good luck.
3. The builder explained that there could be no thirteenth floor in the building due to the _____ that the number is unlucky.
4. Some say that Bill, the
wild man who wore the scary costume of a drooling and evil-looking wolf,
really is a _____.
6. At age seven, Ellen was terrified to go into the cemetery at night for fear of seeing an actual _____.
7. Do you know that a person who practices _____ or black magic is thought to possess supernatural powers granted by evil spirits?
8. When witches gather for their conventions they break up into _____ to more easily share their clandestine methods in a smaller group.
9. Unfortunately, that severe drop in temperature is a _____ which indicates freezing weather conditions are imminent.
10. Did you know that _____, popular until about 1700, is a blend of magic, religion and science?
11. At the exact moment when the magician raised his arms he shouted, "_____" and a white bunny popped out of a tall black hat.
12. Steve's sister, a superstitious woman, wore an _____ tied around ber neck to overcome any bad auras.
13. Did you see that woman on TV explain how often she had used _____ to steal from pockets of unsuspecting victims?
14. Two times a week, an animated _____, comes to the Children's Library, to tell stories in a lively and interesting way.
15. It is almost as if my Mom has _____ abilities because she is so quick and intuitive in sensing odd requests.
16. The mean old _____, his wrinkled face all full of warts, waited impatiently in the forest to scare anyone unfortunate enough to be lost.
17. The crowd became anxious when lightening struck the building and two men, _____ with fear, started yelling "Run for you life, the evils ones are going to kill us now!"
- PETRIFY; 2 - TALISMAN; 3 - SUPERSTITION; 4 - LYCANTHROPE; 5 - DWARF; 6
- SPECTER; 7 - SORCERY; 8 - COVENS; 9 - HARBINGER; 10 - ALCHEMY; 11 -
ABRACADABRA; 12 - AMULET, 13 - LEGERDEMAIN, 14 - RACONTEUR, 15 -
CLAIRVOYANT, 16 - TROLL, 17 - BERSERK.