SPECIAL COVERAGE
CHANDIGARH

LUDHIANA

DELHI


THE TRIBUNE SPECIALS
50 YEARS OF INDEPENDENCE

TERCENTENARY CELEBRATIONS
M A I N   N E W S

Surrender by Aug 2, HC tells Soren

Ranchi, July 29
The Jharkhand High Court today directed the elusive JMM chief Sibu Soren to surrender in the Jamtara court on or before August 2 in connection with the 1975 Chirrudih massacre case failing which action would be taken against him.

Reacting to the court order, Soren, who resigned from the Union Cabinet last week while in hiding after the issuance of the arrest warrant, said he would surrender before the court by August 2 and insisted that he was not absconding but was “among my people”.

Giving its ruling on a petition filed by Soren challenging the validity of the July 17 arrest warrant, a Division Bench comprising Mr Justice P.K. Balasubramanyan and Mr Justice S.J. Mukhopadhya held that it was illegal and said the 1986 arrest warrant against him in the case was still in force.

Observing that the 1986 arrest warrant was not politically motivated, the court asked Soren to surrender before the Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate, Jamtara, by August 2 and warned that if he did not do so, action would be taken against him.

The court also committed the cases of all the 69 accused to the sessions court. Earlier the cases of 59 accused were committed to the court.

With today’s order the entire Chirrudih case would be for trial at the sessions court. — PTI

Back

HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Mailbag | Chandigarh | Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |