M A I N   N E W S

*37 dead, 3000 hurt in serial blasts
*Underground network shut down
K.N. Malik and Agencies

London, July 6
Terrorists today struck at the London transport system, killing 37 and injuring around 3,000 persons, 45 of them critically.

The attacks took place in the morning rush hour at a number of tube stations. At least four explosive devices were exploded. The underground tube stations involved included some of the busiest in the city, including the Kings Cross, Aldgate, Liverpool, Edgware Road and Russell Square.

Twentyone persons were killed at the Kingsway, seven at Liverpool and five at Edgware road station.

A double-decker was blown up near Russell Square, adjacent to the London University area. It is yet not known as to how many persons were killed in the blast.

The city’s financial hub and West End were completely disrupted as the entire tube and bus system was closed down.

The first report about tube disruption come around 9 am. It was then speculated that the underground transport system had been paralysed due to power disruption. Later, it emerged that there were coordinated terrorist attacks on the underground transport system and bus service.

The attack on the bus took place near the Euston station, adjacent to the University of London. Most of the tube stations, such as Liverpool station, Kings Cross, Edgware Road, Moorgate station, Russell Square are in the London city.

The attacks were timed to coincide with the G8 Summit at Gleneagles, in Scotland. The leaders meeting at the summit discussed whether or not to suspend or cancel the meeting. It was decided to continue the discussions.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair issued a statement condemning the cowardly and barbaric act against innocent people belonging to all religions and several races.

The attack came at a time when the world leaders had gathered to discuss meaningful ways to end poverty and combat climate change.

He said terrorists would not weaken the resolve of Britain and other democratic countries to defend their believes and way of life. These countries’ resolve was greater than the terrorists’ resolve to kill innocent people.

While the British Prime Minister was speaking, other world leaders, including the US President and the Indian Prime Minister, lined up behind the British Prime Minister.

The British Government had been expecting the attack in the country after 9/11 attack in the USA four years ago. Since then terrorists attacks had taken place in Bali and Madrid.

The security in London and other cities in the country had been put on high alert on the eve of G8 Summit at Gleneagles in Scotland.

It was earlier reported that the UK Government was spending £8 million on the security of those attending the summit.

Airports in and around London were not affected. The rail services to and from the city were, however, disrupted.

The British Prime Minister flew from Gleneagles to London to take stock of the situation and later returned to Gleneagles.

India House in London Cancelled the 75th anniversary celebrations, which were to be held in central London. where Indian Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh was to be present.

The attacks came a day after the UK won the right to host the Olympics in 2012. Last night, the country was celebrating the hard-won contest to host the games.

Passengers were evacuated from stations across the capital, many in shock and with their clothes ripped to shreds and the city’s streets rapidly emptied following a series of seven deadly bomb explosions at railway stations and buses.

A group calling itself “The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe” said it had carried out the blasts in retaliation for Britain’s involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A passenger, who had left the Tube at Fenchurch Street Station, and walked to Aldgate East, told BBC that he saw injured people.

“As I walked through the bus station I could see people lying on the ground, black, as if they’d been covered in smoke. There were about three or four people on the floor being treated.”

Describing the Russell Square bus blast, eyewitness Belinda Seabrook told the UK’s Press Association news agency that she saw an explosion rip through the bus as it approached the Square.

“I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air,” she said.



HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Mailbag | Chandigarh | Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |