L U D H I A N A   S T O R I E S


Yesudas coming to city on Oct 16
Tribune News Service

Yesudas Ludhiana, August 19
Noted playback singer, Padma Bhushan awardee Yesudas, will present a classical concert in Ludhiana on October 16.

The function is being organised by the Sree Ayyappa Seva Samiti, Ludhiana.

According to Mr Thulasidharan Pillai, general-secretary of the samiti, the function will be held at Ewing Christina Senior Secondary School Brown Road, near the Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana.

Yesudas, who has sung over 40,000 songs, would be here all through the function. Mr Pillai said the concert would provide the people of Ludhiana an opportunity to have the feel of South Indian music. He pointed out Punjab already had a rich musical tradition.



DMCH to start epilepsy surgery soon
Our Correspondent

Ludhiana, August 19
Dayanand Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) would soon introduce on its campus the facility of ‘epilepsy surgery’ for the treatment of uncontrollable epileptic seizures.

Dr V.P. Singh, former additional Professor of Neurosurgery at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, and a pioneer in epileptic surgery in the country, has offered his services for the innovative surgical procedure in this part of the country.

Giving this information here today, Dr Gagandeep Singh, Associate Professor in Department of Neurology at DMCH, said epilepsy was a common disorder, affecting about one per cent of the population. The disease was associated with considerable amount of distress to the affected persons, besides having a stigma attached to it.

“Nearly 70 per cent of epilepsy cases respond to medicinal treatment but the remaining 30 per cent of patients remain incurable. 



450 patients examined
Our Correspondent

Ludhiana, August 19
SPS Apollo organised a free health check-up camp at Machhiwara yesterday. More than 450 patients were examined in the camp which covered specialties like cardiology, ophthalmology and internal medicine. The patients were also provided with facilities of blood pressure monitoring and ECG and given free medicines.

Speaking on the occasion, Dr R.P. Singh, interventional cardiologist of SPS Apollo, said heart diseases could affect anyone and regular check-ups were the only preventive measures against these diseases. He said lack of awareness among the rural population led to increased chances of heart diseases going undetected.

Interacting with the patients, Dr Harpreet Singh, ophthalmologist, observed that a vast majority of elderly population suffered from glaucoma and cataract but the lack of proper medical facilities and timely treatment hampered the provision of proper treatment to the needy.

Dr Gautam Agarwal, medical consultant, said most of age-related problems like joint pains, obesity and diabetes could be well managed if treated in time.

According to Dr Harpreet Singh, such free medical check-up camps would be a regular feature.


HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Mailbag | Chandigarh | Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |