M A I N   N E W S

Mid-day meal makes 25 students sick
Satish Seth

Students of Government Primary School, Pinjupura, who consumed ‘poisonous’ food in school, being treated at Civil Hospital, Kaithal, on Tuesday.
Students of Government Primary School, Pinjupura, who consumed ‘poisonous’ food in school, being treated at Civil Hospital, Kaithal, on Tuesday. — A Tribune photograph

Kaithal, September 13
As many as 25 students and two Class IV employees of Government Primary School, Pinjupura, in Kalayat block of this district, fell sick after consuming ‘poisonous’ food today.

As many as 14 of those who fell sick were rushed to the local civil hospital. They were admitted to the emergency ward in the hospital.

The rest of the persons were administered first aid by a team of doctors at Kalayat before being discharged.

The Deputy Commissioner, Mr B.S Malik, Mr Sat Parkash Ranga, SP, and Mr R.C Verma, ADC, visited the students in the hospital and directed the hospital authorities to provide all possible medical aid to those admitted there.

Dr Aman Sood, who was on duty in the emergency ward, said the condition of students was stable and they were under observation.

The Deputy Commissioner told this correspondent that it was suspected that a lizard had fell into the cooked food. He, however, added that there was no complaint about the quality of food being served under the mid-day meal scheme in the school.

According to reports as many as 25 students of this primary school, situated 2 km from Kalayat town, had consumed boiled grams and wheat cooked by the school staff as part of the mid-day meal scheme. After some time some students started feeling uneasy while some others started vomiting .

The staff on duty informed the doctors at Kalayat hospital and the doctors reached the school.

In the meantime, however, some students left the school for their homes. The doctors, Kapish Gupta and Kiran Sandhu, treated the remaining students.

The Deputy Commissioner, who got information regarding this incident at about 2 pm, immediately sent a team of doctors along with paramedical staff and ambulances to Pinjupura. Dr S.P Gupta, Deputy CMO, and Dr Gaurav Bharadwaj also reached the school from the local civil hospital and helped in the treatment.

The Naib Tehsildar and SHO of Kalayat police station also rushed to the school. Later, a police vehicle fitted with a loudspeaker, was used to make announcement in the village and villagers were asked to bring the students who had consumed food in the school at a particular place from where they were taken to the civil hospital.

Following this announcement some students were brought by their parents and they were taken to the hospital at about 3 pm. Those admitted to the hospital were identified as Sandeep (11), Paramjeet (6), Renu (7), Usha (8), Deepak (6), Jyoti (6) Baljeet (6), Mukesh( 6) , Anil(6), Annu (5) Manish (7), Satish(7) Reeta (8), Suman(9), Sudesh(20) and Maya (24).

According to unconfirmed reports one teacher who also consumed the poisonous food was also admitted to a hospital at Narwana .

Meanwhile, Head Constable Panjab Singh of Kalayat police station, who was on way to the school after getting information about the incident, was knocked down by a vehicle outside the school. He was injured seriously and was rushed to the local civil hospital.


HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Mailbag | Chandigarh | Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |