’84 riots: CBI files 2 cases
New Delhi, November 18
The Ministry of Home Affairs had referred 10 cases registered by the Delhi Police to the CBI for examination out of which the agency firmed up investigations in two cases registered at Mangolpuri and Sultanpuri police stations. All these cases had been closed by the police saying the accused were “untraced”.
Both the cases were registered under various sections of the Indian Penal Code pertaining to rioting, dacoity, arson and murder, CBI sources said.
Giving details of the cases registered, the CBI sources said one case relates to an FIR filed by the Delhi Police at Mangolpuri police station in which one Iqbal Singh left for his shop on November 1, 1984 and never came back.
On November 2, it was learnt that he was killed by a mob and that his body was lying on the road which was subsequently burnt by the mob. The police had registered a case which was closed later saying none of those in the mob could be traced by the police.
The other case registered by the CBI, was filed at Sultanpuri police station, the sources said.
In its FIR, the CBI said a telephone call was received on November 2, 1984 from an unidentified caller who claimed that a gurdwara at Budh Vihar was being looted and the mob had entered the premises indulging in a large-scale arson.
The sources said the CBI was also examining eight other cases, which would be registered by the agency once its legal department scrutinised them.
The Centre had approached the CBI after the Nanavati panel had
suggested in its report that at least 10 cases needed to be
re-investigated. — PTI