Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Career Hotline
Teacher training
Pervin Malhotra

Q I have completed B.Ed from IGNOU (correspondence). And Iím teaching the primary section for the last 7 years. I want to join M. Ed through correspondence. Please give me the names of some institutes?

ó Rajesh Pandya

A Over 25 universities offer M. Ed (DE) courses. I am listing a few of them in your region:

Kurukshetra University, Directorate of Distance Education, Kurukshetra (

Panjab University, Department of Correspondence Studies, Chandigarh-160014 (

Punjabi University, Department of Correspondence Studies, Patiala-147002 (

For further details, log on to the websites or write to Director, Department of Distance Education of the respective universities. You could also get the relevant information on which is the website of the National Council for Teacher Education that governs all education in this field.

Life after life sciences

Q I have completed M.Sc in life sciences. What career options do I have in this subject?

ó Ravinder kaur

A Life science is the study of any branch of natural science dealing with structure and behaviour of living organism. It includes subjects like Genetics, Cytology, Taxonomy, Entomology, Pisciculture, Physiology, Pathology, Parasitology, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Plant ands Molecular Biology etc. Life science is a hot topic worldwide. Institutions across the globe are financing research in this field by offering scholarships or fellowships.

With an M. Sc in some of these subjects you could either take up teaching at the school level after doing your B. Ed or at the college and university level (after clearing the NET Exam for Lectureship and Junior Research Fellowship) or the SLET for teaching at colleges in your state.

If research interests you, then you should pursue your Ph.D at any reputed university or prestigious institution like the National Centre for Biological Sciences (TIFR), Bangalore.

Most jobs in life sciences lie in research in universities, scientific research organisations, government health departments or pharmaceutical companies. Bioinformatics is another hot option. Several institutions offer one-year courses in bioinformatics for postgraduates in life sciences.

You are also eligible for the post of Scientific Officer advertised by the Union Public Service Commission.

Diet counselling

Q Iím a B. Sc (Nursing) graduate working in the PGI as a staff nurse. I am keenly interested in becoming a diet counsellor. Is there any college or university that can provide correspondence courses in dietetics? What are the job opportunities?

ó Gudia

A While IGNOU ( offers a Diploma in Nutrition & Health Education (1-year) Certificate in Food & Nutrition (6-month, no formal qualification required); Certificate in Nutrition & Childcare (6-month), Bundelkhand University, Jhansi (MP) offers a PG Diploma in Nutrition, Food & Child Welfare through distance education. The Allahabad Agricultural Deemed University, Allahabad ( offers a PG Diploma in Nutrition & Dietetics and Bangalore Universityís Directorate of Correspondence Courses & Distance Education offers a Diploma in Applied Nutrition & Dietetics (1-year).

Do check with the Distance Education Council for validation of the courses, though. As you are already working in Chandigarh, you could also check with the Panjab University ( However, they offer a full time PG Diploma course in Nutrition & Dietetics.

Combined with your background in nursing, this would be a good career move since you already have some orientation towards this line. Itís always a challenge to chart out a specific diet plan based on the doctorís diagnosis and the patientís condition and life-style. No point suggesting a regimen that is tedious and complicated even if itís clinically appropriate. And thatís where the real challenge lies.

So what if milk is a no-no for someone with lactose intolerance ó what else can you substitute so that s/he doesnít feel deprived or malnourished? Or how can fat-free food be dressed up with condiments to make it easy on the eyes and the taste buds?

Your work, particularly in a clinical setting, will involve a lot of cajoling and convincing. Customary eating habits acquired over a lifetime are hard to change. Careful monitoring is also required in handling the critically ill and those with complex problems.

Besides working in a hospital or a private clinic, you could work in a gym or health club or specialise as a sports nutritionist. Working in a health programme or NGO as an extension worker, involved in educating specific segments of the population e.g. young mothers or villagers in the special food and dietary value of certain food stuffs, could be yet another option. You could also consider setting up your own practice once youíve gained a reputation.

Indiaís rapidly developing food processing industry, spurred by the popularity of pre-packaged foods, export potential and the entry of international giants, offers ample opportunities for qualified nutritionists, quality control managers and dieticians.

Much ado about MBA

Q Iíve just given my Class XII exams in science stream (non-med). Iím interested in doing MBA (Integrated 5 year course). Please suggest some institutions that offer such courses and also the eligibility for it.

ó Lakshita Narang

A While integrated courses are fine, they are not of much value unless done from a top-notch institution.

If you donít get admission to a reputed institute, it may be better to do your graduation first. Work for a while to gain some practical experience and then try for an MBA from a really good B-school that offers excellent placement facilities. This is a better option than tying yourself down to a mediocre 5-year course.

The following universities offer MMS/MBA (Integrated Master of Management Studies/Business Admin) courses for students who have completed Class XII:

IIT Kharagpurís Vinod Gupta School of Management ( and IIT Mumbaiís Shailesh J Mehta School of Management ( offer integrated 5-year BTech-MBA programmes. Selection: JEE

Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Vidya Vihar, Pilani 333031 (Raj). Duration: 4 years. Eligibility: Class XII (PCM). (

Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (Deemed Univ), Mumbai Integrated MBA-Tech (IT, Chem, Telecom, Mfg) & MBA (Pharma Tech). Duration: 5 years. Elig: plus two (Science) 50 per cent marks. (

University of Lucknow, Badshah Bagh, Lucknow 226007. Duration: 5 years. Eligibility: Class XII.

Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra 136119 (

Course: MBA (Integrated practice-oriented programme) Duration: 5years) Eligibility: plus two (50 per cent with English), Entrance Test: June 10, 2006. Application Deadline: May 29, 2006.

Devi Ahilya Vishwaviyalaya, Indore, Instt of Professional Studies, Khandwa Road, (MP) (

Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak. Duration: 5 years (

ó The writer is a noted career consultant

Please send in your query, preferably on a postcard, along with your full name, complete address and academic qualifications to: Editor, Jobs and Careers, The Tribune, Sector 29, Chandigarh-160030, or at