SPECIAL COVERAGE
CHANDIGARH

LUDHIANA

DELHI


THE TRIBUNE SPECIALS
50 YEARS OF INDEPENDENCE

TERCENTENARY CELEBRATIONS



M A I N   N E W S

Cops sat on blast warning
Shiv Kumar
Tribune News Service

Malegaon, September 9
There are red faces in the Maharashtra Home Ministry following revelations that the Malegaon police knew at least two weeks in advance about the blasts in Malegaon.

Police officials confirmed here today that the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Mr Ramrao Pawar, attached to the Central Railways in Mumbai, had been warned of the impending blasts by an anonymous caller after Independence Day.

Members of the Anti-Terror Squad of the Mumbai police say attempts to identify the caller did not bear fruit. The caller claimed to be from the Lashkar-e-Toiba. The call was traced to Nashik Railway station.

Police officials confirmed that the caller warned of a number of places of pilgrimage like Panchvati and Igatpuri at Nashik being under threat.

“There was no specific information about Muslim places of worship being targetted,” a senior police official said. The police are also investigating if the caller wanted to cast a red herring to divert the attention of the police.

Officials also claimed that the blasts were caused by four IEDs that were set off by a timer. “Three of them took place inside the Kabristan, while one took place at Mushaira chowk,” Anti Terrorism Squad chief, K.P. Raghuvanshi told reporters earlier today.

Back

 

 

Pak condemns Malegaon blasts

Islamabad, September 9
Pakistan today condemned the blasts in Malegaon in Maharashtra that claimed 31 lives and hoped the Indian Government would bring the culprits to book.
“Pakistan condemns terrorism and extremism in all forms”, Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz said. — PTI

Back

 





HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Mailbag | Chandigarh | Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |