M A I N   N E W S

Four killed in Kashmir firing
60 hurt, Hurriyat leaders arrested
Ehsan Fazili
Tribune News Service

First shift IG, SSP: Samiti

In a significant development, the samiti has decided that it will not hold talks with the Governorís panel until Jammu IGP K. Rajendra and SSP Manohar Singh are transferred, samiti spokesperson Narinder Singh said.

Srinagar, August 25
Four persons were killed and 60 others injured as security forces fired at the protesters in the curfew-bound Kashmir valley to thwart people from marching towards the Lal Chowk, a venue where the Hurriyat-led coordination committee was to hold a rally.

The authorities clamped curfew in all 10 districts in the valley on Sunday as a precautionary measure and to prevent todayís rally in central Lal Chowk from taking place.

Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Syed Ali Shah Geelani, chiefs of the moderate and hardliner factions of the Hurriyat Conference, respectively, were arrested along with a dozen of their supporters here last night under Section 107 of the RPC.

JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik managed to reach the Lal Chowk area along with his supporters this morning but was taken into custody.

One Basit Ahmad was killed when the police and security forces fired to quell the demonstrators at Tahab in Pulwama district of south Kashmir in the morning.

Officials said the forces fired at the agitators as the situation went out of control. The forces first resorted to lathicharge and lobbed tear gas shells to disperse the protesters, they said.

Another youth, Showkat Ahmad, was killed and several others injured when the police opened fire to disperse protesters, who indulged in stone-pelting at Narabal, 15 km north of Srinagar on the Srinagar-Baramulla road.

A woman, Hajara, was killed when the security forces opened fire to chase away a procession of people at Chontipora, Handwara in Kupwara district. People turned violent and forces resorted to lathicharge and fired in the air, the police said.

The spokesman said there were conflicting reports regarding her death and the matter was under investigation.

One person was killed in Hajin where the protesters pelted security forces with stones. The police claimed that even the mob fired gunshots, leaving two CRPF and equal number of police personnel injured. The security forces retaliated, leaving 15 people injured.

Security forces resorted to lathicharge and lobbed tear gas shells to control a violent mob at Hiree in Kupwara district. Two persons were injured in firing, the police said.

PTI adds: The coordination committee today called for a shutdown in Kashmir tomorrow against the alleged highhandedness of security forces and arrest of leaders.



HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Letters | Chandigarh | Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |