SPECIAL COVERAGE
CHANDIGARH

LUDHIANA

DELHI


THE TRIBUNE SPECIALS
50 YEARS OF INDEPENDENCE

TERCENTENARY CELEBRATIONS
M A I N   N E W S

Pak must tell us if more proof needed: Pranab
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, February 10
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee today said India expected Pakistan to officially communicate if it wanted any more evidence for its investigations into the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.

“We would expect official communication from the authorities of Pakistan whether they want anything extra from us and if they want anything additional from us, what they want? Let them communicate to us officially and then we will be in a position to deal with it, otherwise it is extremely difficult,’’ Mukherjee said here.

He made it clear that India would not “negotiate” through the media, while reminding Islamabad about the existence of official channels of communication, which should be used. Mukherjee was asked for his comments on the statement issued by Islamabad yesterday, saying it would require more information from India in connection with the Mumbai attacks as the dossier provided earlier was not substantial. Echoing similar sentiments, foreign secretary Shiv Shankar Menon also said Pakistan should directly come and talk to India instead of saying different things.

India has been unhappy with Islamabad’s attitude over the Mumbai dossier as it clearly reflects the lack of sincerity on the part of the neighbouring country in getting at the bottom of the heinous crime.

Indian officials say the dossier that New Delhi handed over to Islamabad in January is so comprehensive that Islamabad is finding it difficult to refute the evidence about the involvement of elements in Pakistan in the Mumbai attacks.

The dossier contained the confession of the sole surviving terrorist captured during the attacks, satellite phone intercepts between the attackers and their handlers in Pakistan, and a list of Pakistani-made weapons used by the militants.

Asked about the reappearance of an Al-Qaida commander, who the Pakistani military said had died last year, with a message targeting India, the officials said it highlighted Pakistan’s duplicity in the fight against terror.

The video released by Mustafa Abu al-Yazid, said to be the Al-Qaida’s military commander in Afghanistan, had raised fresh questions on Pakistan’s credibility as an ally in the war against terror.

Back

 





HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Letters | Chandigarh | Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |