Mumbai mayhem: Maps reached plotters via Nepal
Mumbai, February 26
“The accused Fahim Ansari after reconnaissance and preparation of detailed maps of the target locations, handed over the same to another co-accused Sabauddin Ahmed at Kathmandu in Nepal sometime in January 2008,” said the chargesheet, which was filed yesterday. The jumbo chargesheet mentions in all 47 names, including those of nine dead terrorists and two Indian nationals Ansari and Sabahuddin.
Fahim and Sabauddin had been arrested in January last year by Uttar Pradesh Police in connection with the CRPF camp attacks there. “The LeT co-conspirators then made arrangements for fetching the maps from Sabauddin Ahmed at Kathmandu,” the chargesheet said. The custody of the duo, who are in judicial custody till March 9, was taken by Mumbai police in December last year for their alleged involvement in Mumbai attacks. “Both Ansari and Sabauddin were in constant touch with each other through e-mail during the operation,” a crime branch official said. Infact, the lethal strikes would not have been possible without the inputs and assistance provided by the two.
According to the chargesheet, the maps prepared by Ansari were shown to the ten terrorists in Pakistan during the last phase of training. — PTI
Probe army’s role, Pranab tells Pak
New Delhi, February 26
“The perpetrators of the attacks must be brought to book...we expect Pakistan to fulfil its bilateral and international obligations of not letting its territory to be used by terrorists,” Mukherjee said at a function here.
On Pakistan demanding timely response from India to the 30 questions it had raised on the Mumbai attack probe, he said, “We will respond whenever we are in a position to do so.”
Notably, the Mumbai police chargesheet contains the names of two Pakistan army officers with the designation of major general and colonel. The Pakistan army, however, has denied the allegation.
No clean chit to ISI: Probe team
Mumbai, February 26
On the other hand, public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said investigators need to probe the links of a man addressed as ‘Colonel’ by terrorists during their telephone conversations. The transcripts of the phone conversations mentioned in the charge sheet indicate that the terrorists who carried out the attacks were in touch with some “Colonel.” However, it is not clear if the person was a
serving or retired officer of the Pakistani defence services or was just an operative of the Lashkar-e-Toiba, Nikam added. “The matter needs to be investigated,” he said.