New Delhi, January 15
The Centre on Wednesday told the Supreme Court that it had accepted the recommendations of a special investigation team (SIT), headed by retired Delhi High Court judge Justice SN Dhingra which had probed 186 cases of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, and that it would take appropriate action as per the law.
A bench headed by Chief Justice SA Bobde was informed by senior advocate RS Suri, appearing for the petitioner, that the report of the SIT is damning for police officials and they would file an application seeking action against the cops who were allegedly involved in the ghastly crime.
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Centre, told the bench that it had accepted the recommendations made in the report and would take appropriate steps.
“We have accepted the recommendations and will act accordingly as per law. A lot of steps are required to be taken and they will be taken,” Mehta told the bench, also comprising Justices BR Gavai and Surya Kant.
During the hearing, Suri referred to the SIT’s report saying the “undercurrent is that police officials can’t go scot-free for the things which had happened”.
“The report suggests that some action should be taken against police officials as they were in connivance. These police officials cannot go scot-free. We will file a response to the report,” Suri told the bench, adding that he would also file an application seeking action against police officials.
Mehta informed the bench that the records of these cases were kept in the apex court registry and they should be returned to the CBI so that further proceedings could go on.
The bench directed that the records be given to the Ministry of Home Affairs.
The SIT, also comprising retired IPS officer Rajdeep Singh and serving IPS officer Abhishek Dular, was set up by the apex court on Janaury 11, 2018 to supervise further investigation into the 186 cases in which closure reports were filed earlier.
The SIT currently has only two members as Singh had declined to be part of the team on personal grounds.
Earlier, in March last year, the top court had granted two more months to the SIT to complete its probe into 186 riot cases after the SIT informed it that more than 50 per cent of work was done and it wanted two more months to complete the investigation.
Large-scale riots targeting members of the Sikh community had broken out in the national capital in the aftermath of the assassination of the then prime minister Indira Gandhi by her two Sikh security guards on October 31, 1984. The violence had claimed 2,733 lives in Delhi alone. PTI
All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate. The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Urban Development Minister Sarkaria unfurls Tricolour in hol...
The contract of the private company, which is responsible fo...
Health Minister Sidhu unfurls Tricolour in city; opens 66-kW...
Had stuffed glove in two-and-a-half-year-old boy’s mouth; co...
28-year-old man had travelled to China on Jan 16, returned o...
Admn has started work on proposal, says UT Adviser at R-Day ...
Amit Shah dares Kejriwal to visit protest site
Jails Minister Randhawa unveils ‘Disha’, a book to help stud...
Was playing near dump at Bahomajra village
Company begins work on ROB/RUB project near Hero Bakery Chow...
To help police personnel in regulating traffic, will issue d...
Minister hoists Tricolour, lists welfare schemes