Tribune News Service
Amritsar, May 27
A major fire broke out at the Municipal Corporation (MC) godown at Bhagtanwala early Wednesday morning. A huge quantity of material seized by estate and advertisement wings of the MC gutted in fire. No loss of life or injury was reported in the fire. Watchmen at godown noticed the fire around 5 am and tried to douse it with water buckets available inside the godown. Later, they called the fire department but helpline number was reportedly not responding.
Sushant Bhatia, Estate Officer, said, “I got information of fire around 5 am and immediately called to the fire station officials. I visited there and found that material seized by the advertisement wing was gutted in the fire. Rehris and folding beds seized from roadside vendors also damaged in large number. Fortunately, gas cylinders and garbage collection vehicles parked in the zonal office premises were safe”.
The godown was almost full with the seized material and the MC was supposed to conduct auction of the material before Covid-19 outbreak.
MC officials are suspecting that a tube light inside the godown was repaired recently and this can lead to spark and fire. Lovepreet Singh, Station Fire Officer, said, “We received call around 5.21 am and five fire tenders were sent to douse the fire immediately. Firemen worked hard to douse the flames. It was a major fire as advertisement material and other goods were stored there”.
Addresses soldiers besides meeting senior Army officers
Says need to avoid escalation
The bus was returning from Nankana Sahib to Lahore
Religious places to continue to remain closed till further o...
The medical entrance exam was scheduled for July 26