Add Tribune As Your Trusted Source
TrendingVideosIndia
Opinions | CommentEditorialsThe MiddleLetters to the EditorReflections
UPSC | Exam ScheduleExam Mentor
State | Himachal PradeshPunjabJammu & KashmirHaryanaChhattisgarhMadhya PradeshRajasthanUttarakhandUttar Pradesh
City | ChandigarhAmritsarJalandharLudhianaDelhiPatialaBathindaShaharnama
World | ChinaUnited StatesPakistan
Diaspora
Features | The Tribune ScienceTime CapsuleSpectrumIn-DepthTravelFood
Business | My Money
News Columns | Straight DriveCanada CallingLondon LetterKashmir AngleJammu JournalInside the CapitalHimachal CallingHill ViewBenchmark
Don't Miss
Advertisement

Probe panel indicts DSP, but no FIR yet

Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium

Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Yearly Premium ₹999 ₹349/Year
Yearly Premium $49 $24.99/Year
Advertisement

PK Jaiswar

Advertisement

Tribune News Service

Advertisement

Amritsar, February 2

Despite the orders from the commission of inquiry, constituted by the state government to look into the false cases registered during the past decade, the city police have failed to register a theft case against a DSP-rank officer.

The orders were issued by the commission, headed by Justice Mehtab Singh Gill (retd), in November last year. The orders were forwarded to the Police Commissioner by the district attorney on January 17.

Advertisement

As the local police did not register an FIR against the DSP-rank officer, currently posted in Gurdaspur, complainant Naresh Kumar Dhami personally handed over the orders to Police Commissioner Dr Sukhchain Singh Gill. He also submitted the same to the Deputy Commissioner-cum-District Magistrate, who is the nodal officer, here on Friday. A copy of the order is with The Tribune.

In his complaint to the commission on June 5, 2017, Dhami had alleged that a police team, headed by the then SHO of Division ‘C’ police station, had raided his residence located in the Dhab Wasti Ram area in his absence. The SHO took away Rs 1.2 lakh, besides gold and diamond ornaments. The raid was conducted in December 2014 after falsely implicating him and his son Partap Dhami in a case of selling Chinese kite string.

Dhami said though the plastic kite string was recovered by the police from a shop on the first floor of his house, which he had rented out to Ramesh Kumar, their names were deliberately dragged into the case under political influence as he had some property dispute in which several political leaders were interested.

He said the police team without any reason raided his residence located on the third floor of the building. They broke open the doors and decamped with the cash and the jewellery, he added.

Police Commissioner Dr Sukhchain Singh Gill said they had not yet received any official approval from the state government regarding the registration of a case. “Approval is mandatory before registering an FIR against a police official. As soon as we get the requisite approval, an appropriate action would be taken,” he added.

Advertisement
Show comments
Advertisement