Tribune News Service
Balaur (Jhajjar), October 19
Farmers of this hamlet have started resisting the government’s move to acquire 56 acres of land to establish a grain market here.
A panchayat of farmers held under the aegis of the Bhartiya Kisan Union Ganrajya Bharat has served a one-month ultimatum on the government to cancel the process of land acquisition or face a campaign against it.
During the panchayat, the farmers also accused the government of rendering them landless by acquiring their fertile land in the name of development.
“Around 75 per cent fertile land of Balaur village was acquired by the previous Congress government. Now, the present BJP government is trying to uproot us by acquiring the remaining 25 per cent land for developing a grain market but we will not let it do it ,” said Sanjay Yadav, outgoing sarpanch of Balaur village.
He informed the government had recently asked the landowners to receive the compensation for their acquired land but all farmers were firm on not parting with their land.
Sardar Laabh Singh, chief of the farmers’ outfit, said: “We have given the state government one month to take the final call on the issue. Farmers are ready to launch a stir to protect their fertile land if the government fails to cancel the land acquisition process by then.”
All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate. The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Police first deny, then admit to have seized blankets after ...
Uproot digital video recorder of CCTVs at Bandala village br...
Hardev Nagar, Kheta Singh Basti want action against culprits
Say not getting full payment of their wages as per the rate ...
Acts on Selvel’s ‘plaint’; observers not invited to meeting
Three-wheeler was hit by a car, liquor box recovered
Scores 99.986 percentile; Tanish Gupta bags second spot
Say self-study, NCERT books the key to crack the paper