Saturday, October 19, 2019

Posted at: Aug 22, 2019, 7:17 AM; last updated: Aug 22, 2019, 7:17 AM (IST)

Logjam between police, lawyers continues, protest enters Day 4

Bar Assn delegation apprises High Court Chief Justice of the issue
Logjam between police, lawyers continues, protest enters Day 4
Lawyers protest against the police outside the SSP office in Bathinda on Wednesday. Photo: Vijay Kumar

Tribune News Service

Bathinda, August 21

The logjam between the local police and lawyers continues as the protest by members of the District Bar Association entered its fourth day on Wednesday.

The lawyers have been on a strike for the past four days to protest the registration of a case against Navdeep Jeeda in an alleged assault case. Due to the strike, hearings in many cases have been affected.

In another major development in the incident, a delegation of the Bathinda District Bar Association headed by Punjab and Haryana High Court Bar Association president Dyal Partap Singh on Wednesday met Punjab and Haryana High Court Chief Justice Krishna Murari.

Advocates Kanwaljit Singh Kuti, Navdeep Singh Jeeda, Harpal Singh Khara, Rajnish Rampal and Hargobind Singh Gill were part of the delegation.

The delegation members apprised the Chief Justice of the incident.

Talking to mediapersons, Kanwaljit Singh Kuti and Harpal Singh Khara said, “If justice is denied to us due to the attitude of the police, we will stage a massive protest.”

Besides, members of the District Bar Association suspended their work on Wednesday. They also staged a protest outside the SSP office.

They alleged that the police were adopting double standards as a few days ago, a video in which a Bucho police officer was caught slapping a person, who was traveling in his car with his family, went viral on the social media.

They said in that incident in which a police officer was accused, an inquiry with three-month time frame was marked. The lawyers said in this case, a police constable assaulted an advocate and cops admitted him to hospital. They said the police took Jeeda to the police station with the fractured nose.

They said the case was registered against Jeeda without any probe.


All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On