Coming up, roundabouts at 3 light points in Chandigarh

Road Safety Council decision aims at reducing road fatalities

Coming up, roundabouts at 3 light points in Chandigarh

The Transport chowk on Madhya Marg, Sector 26, on Tuesday. - Pradeep Tewari

Amit Sharma

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, November 23

The UT Administration will build roundabouts at three intersections in the city. These will come up at the Press light point (Sector 17/18/8/9), the Transport light point (Sector 26) and the Housing Board light point on Madhya Marg. These are among the busiest light points and also accident-prone spots in the city.

The decision was taken during a meeting of the State-level Road Safety Council today. The meeting, which was chaired by UT Adviser Dharam Pal, was attended by SSP (Traffic)

Manisha Choudhary among officials from different departments. The focus during the meeting remained on rectifying the black spots/accident-prone areas as well as improving the overall visibility on roads for the safety of road users and to prevent fatalities.

Sources said the construction would start soon and the project would be completed in less than six months.

The decision to redesign the already existing roundabouts to minimise the impact of vehicle collision was also taken.

Navdeep Asija, a member of the council, said stress was laid on the safety of cyclists and pedestrians, especially on roads where cycle tracks were part of the main road.

A slight rise was witnessed in deaths of cyclists across Chandigarh. The fatalities rose from 18 per cent in 2016 to 19 per cent last year. While 10 cyclists, all males, died last year, 14, including three females, sustained injuries in the city.

In 2020, a majority of pedestrian deaths and injuries due to road crashes were reported from areas where no pedestrian infrastructure was available i.e. 89 per cent, while the remaining 11 per cent deaths and injuries occurred on zebra crossing. A total of 12 pedestrians lost their lives in 11 crashes due to lack of pedestrian infrastructure.

Some other key decisions taken during the meeting were issuance of parking stickers for vehicles of differently abled persons and to designate parking spots for them, installation of iron grills on dividers of V-2 and V-3 roads to prevent jaywalking, illumination of dark spots and parks in the city, provision of laybys for buses, installation of proper warning signages and illumination at pedestrian and cycle crossing paths, proper lane and directional markings at roundabouts and installation of speed signages in sectors.

Where will these come up

Press light point (Sector 17/18/8/9)

Transport light point (Sector 26)

Housing Board light point

Tribune Shorts

Top Stories

India’s first Omicron cases: One is South African, second a local doctor with no travel history

India’s first Omicron cases: One is South African, second a local doctor with no travel history

Five contacts of doctor also test positive and their samples...

India's first two Omicron cases detected in Karnataka, says government

India's first two Omicron cases detected in Karnataka

Govt says need not panic about Omicron detection but awarene...

Supreme Court slams Delhi govt over ‘Red Light On, Gaadi Off’ campaign

Supreme Court sets 24-hour deadline for govt to come up with concrete measures on air pollution

Bench hints at setting up task force; pulls up Delhi govt fo...

Delhi schools to be closed from Friday till further orders due to pollution

Delhi schools to be closed till further orders due to pollution

The decision comes after the Supreme Court on Thursday pulls...


View All