Kuldeep Kumar Dhalor takes over as Chandigarh Mayor, to focus on sanitation : The Tribune India

Join Whatsapp Channel

Kuldeep Kumar Dhalor takes over as Chandigarh Mayor, to focus on sanitation

Promises free 20K litres of water per month

Kuldeep Kumar Dhalor takes over as Chandigarh Mayor, to focus on sanitation

Senior leaders of the Congress and AAP congratulate Mayor Kuldeep Kumar after he assumed charge on Wednesday. Tribune photo: Vicky



Tribune News Service

Sandeep Rana

Chandigarh, February 28

Kuldeep Kumar Dhalor, who finally assumed charge as Mayor today at the Municipal Corporation office, was accorded a red carpet welcome.

A red carpet was laid at the entrance to the building. Amid the beating of dhols and loud cheer by party leaders and workers, Dhalor assumed charge.

He was declared winner of the mayoral poll on February 20 by the Supreme Court setting aside the outcome of the January 30 poll declaring BJP’s Manoj Sonkar the Mayor. Sonkar was announced the winner after eight votes were declared invalid by presiding officer Anil Masih.

The new Mayor had not assumed charge till yesterday citing personal reasons. He took over today adhering to the Punjab and Haryana High Court directions.

Punjab Chief Minister’s OSD Rajveer Singh Ghuman, co-in charge of city AAP SS Ahluwalia, senior AAP leaders Pradeep Chhabra, Chandermukhi Sharma and others were present among a large number of party leaders at the event.

“My priority would be to bring the city to the number one position in the swachhta ranking as well as clear the mountain of garbage at the dumping ground. After I became the councillor from Dadu Majra, 70 per cent work was complete and now, the remaining 30 per cent will also be done,” he said.

Dhalor said after the budget meeting, 20,000 litres of free water per household per month will be the first agenda to be passed in the very next meeting. “We will take it up with the Administration and get it passed,” he added.

Pics of RSS ideologues removed from office

As the AAP Mayor assumed charge, the pictures of RSS ideologues had disappeared from the office. Sources said BJP leaders had requested for their removal to prevent an unsavoury situation. Meanwhile, AAP put up Bhagat Singh’s picture in the office.

About The Author

The Tribune News Service brings you the latest news, analysis and insights from the region, India and around the world. Follow the Tribune News Service for a wide-ranging coverage of events as they unfold, with perspective and clarity.


Top News

‘Congress mantra is loot in life, loot after life’: PM Modi on Sam Pitroda’s inheritance tax remarks

‘Congress mantra is loot in life, loot after life’: PM Modi on Sam Pitroda’s 'inheritance tax' remarks

Grand Old Party accuses BJP of distorting Pitroda’s remarks ...

Supreme Court seeks clarification from EC on functioning of EVMs, summons senior poll panel official

Supreme Court seeks clarification from EC on functioning of EVMs, summons senior poll panel official

Deputy Election Commissioner Nitesh Vyas had earlier given p...

AAP's Sanjay Singh accuses BJP of flip-flop on spectrum allocation

AAP Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Singh accuses BJP of flip-flop on spectrum allocation

Says spectrum allocation and licensing should be auctioned


Cities

View All