Tribune News Service
Ludhiana, January 25
Though ‘due date by cheque’ is duly mentioned on bills of water supply and sewerage charges issued to consumers, the civic body is not accepting cheques. The consumers visiting the MC offices to pay their bills by cheque are a harried lot.
Jaswant Singh (84) of the Dholewal area said he visited the Zone C office to pay his water supply and sewerage charges by cheque but the staff concerned refused to accept my cheque. “When I asked the staff as to why ‘due date by cheque – January 31, 2020’ has been mentioned on the bill issued to me, they failed to explain. They asked me to pay the bill in cash or by a debit card.”
“I returned home, got my debit card and paid the bill at the office. If cheques are not accepted, the MC must correct the information on the bills. There are many others who suffer due to negligence on the part of the civic body,” he said.
Zonal Commissioner Neeraj Jain said the matter had come to his notice. “Cheques are not accepted by the civic body. I also apologised to the senior citizen. We will take steps to rectify the error on the bills,” he said.
Sources in MC said the MC authorities had earlier given instructions not to accept cheques as several cases of cheque bounce were reported. “The MC should accept cheques, as payment by cheque is accepted in many other government offices in the country. If any cheque is dishonoured by a bank, then legal action should be taken against the person concerned,” said another consumer.
Operators care little about Safe School Vahan Scheme
70 items worth Rs9.18 crore to be tabled for approval tomorr...
Work to be carried out in a time-bound manner | 3 XENs list ...
This is in addition to the three-storey underground parking ...
Minister Soni says can’t redress grievances in their absence
Team collects 9 samples from RMC road near Daresi Ground
Driver flees scene, victim declared brought dead at DMCH
Old enmity over money the trigger, victims vendors
Balbir Singh Sidhu compares Sehat Bima Yojana with Obamacare
4 kids were charred to death after their van caught fire in ...