DT
PT
Subscribe To Print Edition About The Tribune Code Of Ethics Download App Careers Advertise with us Classifieds
Gen Z Speak Up !
Grand Independence Day Sale Know More
search-icon-img
search-icon-img
Advertisement

MEA confirms 13 foreigners perished in Delhi fire, says in touch with victim families

Addressing the weekly media briefing, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal expresses condolences over the tragedy and says the government is extending all possible assistance to the affected families

  • fb
  • twitter
  • whatsapp
  • whatsapp
featured-img featured-img
Twenty-one people were killed and several injured in a massive fire in a hotel in Delhi's Hauz Rani area on Wednesday. Tribune file
Advertisement

The Ministry of External Affairs on Friday confirmed that 13 foreign nationals were among those killed in the devastating fire that swept through a hotel building in Delhi's Malviya Nagar area earlier this week, and said it was in touch with the embassies and families of the victims.

Advertisement

Addressing the weekly media briefing, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal expressed condolences over the tragedy and said the government was extending all possible assistance to the affected families.

Advertisement

“Thirteen foreign nationals have died in the incident. We offer our condolences. We are in touch with the embassies of all these countries and are trying to help them in the manner they want,” Jaiswal said.

Advertisement

According to the MEA, the deceased foreign nationals included one each from Mozambique, Liberia, Uzbekistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Bangladesh and Iraq; four from Nigeria; and three from Kyrgyzstan.

Jaiswal said around 22 foreign nationals had also sustained injuries in the blaze and were receiving treatment.

Advertisement

The fire broke out late on the night of June 3 in a multi-storey building housing a hotel and commercial establishments in the Hauz Rani area of Malviya Nagar in south Delhi. The blaze quickly engulfed the upper floors, trapping several occupants inside.

The tragedy claimed 21 lives, making it one of the deadliest fire incidents in the national capital in recent years. Many of the victims were foreign nationals who had travelled to Delhi for medical treatment or were accompanying patients undergoing treatment at hospitals in the city.

The incident has also triggered diplomatic outreach, with several foreign missions coordinating with Indian authorities for the identification, treatment and repatriation of their citizens. Earlier, the Bangladesh High Commission confirmed that Bangladeshi nationals were among those affected and thanked Indian authorities for their assistance.

The MEA said it would continue to work closely with the embassies and state authorities concerned to facilitate support for the victims and their families.

Read what others can’t with The Tribune Premium

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tlbr_img1 Classifieds tlbr_img2 Videos tlbr_img3 Premium tlbr_img4 E-Paper tlbr_img5 Shorts