New Delhi, March 31
Six people, including a toddler, suffocated to death after an overturned mosquito coil sparked a blaze at a house in northeast Delhi's Shastri Park, police said on Friday.
Three others were injured in the incident, they said.
The police received information around 9am that a fire had broken out in a house at Mazar Wala Road in Shastri Park's Machhi Market, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Northeast) Joy Tirkey said.
Upon reaching the spot, the police found that nine people had been taken to Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital, Tirkey said.
Of them, four men, a woman and a one-and-a-half-year-old child died. A 15-year-old girl and a 45-year-old man are being treated for burns while a 22-year-old man was discharged after first aid, they police said.
According to the police, it was learnt that a burning mosquito coil had tipped over on a mattress during the night. The residents lost consciousness due to the toxic fumes before eventually suffocating to death. Further investigation is under way.
The fire department said three tenders were rushed to the spot.
Most Read In 24 Hours
Don't MissView All
Odisha train crash LIVE update: 238 killed, 650 injured in one of the deadliest train accidents
Railway minister Vaishnaw visits accident site; says main fo...
Midnight hoax bomb call near Golden Temple puts Amritsar police on alert
Though no bomb was found, the police have taken four persons...
4 from Haryana’s Jind die in road accident on Panipat-Hardwar road
As many as 28 people of Kamach Khera village of Julana in Ji...
5.5 kg drugs dropped by drone seized near border in Amritsar sector
On the intervening night of June 2 -3, BSF troops deployed i...
15 injured in attack by suspected Kuki militants in Manipur
Personnel of the state police and Manipur Rifles stationed a...