Students sans Net told to use common service centres in Haryana

But only 10 centres in Rohtak villages have free Wi-Fi facility

Students sans Net told to use common service centres in Haryana

Those students who do not have hardware and Internet connections have been told to use the nearest common service centres (CSCs) for online classes when the fact is that no such facility is available at the CSCs. Photo for representation only.

Ravinder Saini

Tribune News Service

Rohtak, August 3

The Department of Higher Education has directed all teaching and non-teaching employees to come to college from August 4 to initiate the admission process for the coming academic session.

Principals have been asked to make a timetable for the college and to ensure that 70 per cent classes are conducted online. The remaining 30 per cent classes will be conducted offline when the situation normalises.Interestingly, those students who do not have hardware and Internet connections have been told to use the nearest common service centres (CSCs) for online classes when the fact is that no such facility is available at the CSCs.

“More than 25 per cent of the college students residing in villages could not join the online classes during the lockdown as they didn’t have smart phones and Internet connections. Teaching these students online will remain a big challenge in the coming session as well in the absence of smart phones with the Internet facility,” said a college lecturer.

Rohtak district has 250 CSCs and free Wi-Fi facility is available only in 10 CSCs located in villages. The CSCs are being run by private persons under the Digital India programme. These are access points for the delivery of essential public utility services, social welfare schemes, healthcare, financial, educational and agriculture services in rural, remote and urban areas of the country. “The CSC operator uses his/her personal computer or laptop to provide the service to the people and charges a nominal fee from them. Why will he/she allow the students to use the equipment for online classes in place of doing his/her primary job?” said an official associated with the CSC programme.

He maintained that free Wi-Fi facilities were at present being provided to 10 CSCs under a government scheme for rural development. The facilities will be extended to 139 gram panchayats in the coming days, he added.

Top Stories

1 in 15 Indians estimated to be exposed to COVID; over 90% still susceptible: ICMR survey

1 in 15 Indians estimated to be exposed to COVID; over 90% still susceptible: ICMR survey

Govt asks people to mask up for the festive and winter seaso...

Vice President Venkaiah Naidu tests positive for Covid

Vice President Venkaiah Naidu tests positive for Covid

Is asymptomatic and in good health, says VP office

India again rejects China’s 1959 claim line

India again rejects China’s 1959 claim line

Always respected and abided by the LAC: MEA

Those opposing farm Bills don't want farmers to have freedom of selling produce in open market: Modi

Those opposing farm Bills don't want farmers to have freedom of selling produce in open market: Modi

PM dedicates 6 Namami Gange projects in Uttarakhand to the n...

Amarinder meets representatives of 31 farmers' unions; assures them all legal steps will be taken

Amarinder meets representatives of 31 farmers' unions; assures them all legal steps will be taken

The Chief Minister slammed the Akalis for pawning off farmer...

Cities

View All