J&K Dy CM for probe into razing of scribe’s house in Jammu, flags ‘selective action’
Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium
Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only BenefitsDeputy Chief Minister Surinder Choudhary on Saturday demanded a thorough inquiry into the demolition of the house of a Jammu-based social media journalist’s family, calling the action “selective” and taken without the knowledge of the elected government.
The house of 72-year-old Ghulam Qadir Daing—father of journalist Arfaz Ahmed Daing—was demolished by the Jammu Development Authority (JDA) on Thursday during an anti-encroachment drive. While officials said notices had been served, the family claimed they had been living on the land in Transport Nagar for over four decades and were not given any prior intimation.
The demolition has triggered a political storm, with the National Conference (NC) distancing itself from the action and the BJP accusing the ruling party of being responsible. Senior BJP leader Ravinder Raina also met the affected journalist after the incident.
After visiting the family on Saturday, Deputy CM Choudhary urged Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha to order an inquiry into what he termed a “high-handed and selective” operation. He said the drive appeared to have targeted a poor family while influential encroachers continued to enjoy impunity.
“The house of a poor man was demolished while many influential people who have encroached upon JDA land remain untouched,” Choudhary said. “This is why we say officials should be posted by an elected government. If these officials were appointed by us, we could have questioned them. The JDA Vice Chairman has not been posted on the orders of the elected government,” he added, indicating that the posting was done by the L-G administration.
Choudhary claimed the demolition was carried out without the consent or knowledge of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who heads the concerned department. He said preliminary information suggested that officials acted on their own without consulting either the L-G or the CM. “Those involved should be placed under suspension pending an inquiry,” he said.
Reiterating that the elected government stands by constitutional values, freedom of speech and the protection of vulnerable communities, Choudhary said, “The house targeted belonged to a journalist. If you suppress the fourth pillar of democracy for speaking the truth, who will speak the truth? If someone thinks they can run J&K through oppression and suppression, it will not last long.”
He added that the Chief Minister has sought details of the case from the JDA and “accountability will be fixed.”
Responding to political criticism, Choudhary asserted, “The National Conference government is not helpless or weak; otherwise, we would not be standing here today. We know our strength because we are elected by the people.”
He also stressed that the land could have been regularised upon payment of a fee. “This land was not meant for any industrial purpose. A poor family has been living here for decades. Such decisions should be taken by an elected government. IAS officers know that the J&K government cannot take action against them due to the dual power system,” he said.
Highlighting the need to restore statehood to eliminate administrative duality, he remarked, “When we said we were not allowed to work smoothly, this is exactly what we meant. Speaking the truth has been turned into an offence.” Choudhary also appreciated local
resident Kuldeep Sharma, who offered land to the affected family to help them rebuild their home.