Career Hotline

Looking for job after BFA

Looking for job after BFA

Pervin Malhotra
email your queries to

Q. I have just completed my BFA degree in graphic design from a government art college, but have not managed to find a job yet. What should I do? — Sameera Goel

A. You may have already done an internship while in college, but with the market busier than a mithai counter on Diwali-eve, it may not be a bad idea to undertake another one. Now that you’re a free agent, should your employer require you to stay on for a few months as they enter a busy period, you should grab the opportunity with both hands. It will provide you more opportunities to network and put you first in line if the company decides they need a new staff member.

Another option is to seek out an entry level job at a design studio, art gallery, publishing house or photography agency, depending on your area of expertise. For this, your portfolio and CV need to be very attractive. Make sure to sell yourself smartly and utilize every inch of your experience, including the projects you may have worked on in college.

A look at aviation management courses

Q.Can you please suggest some courses in aviation management? Can they be pursued at the bachelor’s level? — Dhiraj Lalwani

A. Degree programs in Aviation Management can be pursued both at the bachelor's and master's levels. The courses cover topics such as aviation insurance, air transportation economics and international aviation management.

These courses equip you to oversee various airline and airports departments.

Presently, two options are available: B.Sc in Aviation Management and MBA in Aviation management.

UPES, Dehradun offers both UG and PG programmes. NIMS University and Jaipur School of Aviation Management also offer a variety of courses.

While several colleges offer BSc in Aviation Mgt, some others offer BBA courses. Institute of Logistics & Aviation Management (ILAM) is yet another option with campuses in Pune, Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi etc

What is a good TOEFL score?

Q. After completing my BTech in 2017, I’ve been working in the construction sector for the past three years. I am, now, planning to do my MBA in the US. But my English is not very good. What is the minimum TOEFL score that is acceptable? — Devinder Handa

A. As business is a field that generally requires strong communication skills, international students have to show evidence of their English language skills.

While most top-ranked MBA programs require a minimum TOEFL score of 100-105, the average score being 108-112 for many of the business management programmes.

You could also look at opting for IELTS which is also acceptable to most institutions of higher learning.

This of course, is in addition to your GMAT scores.

English language test for docs

Q. My sister is a practicing dentist in Phagwara. She is very keen to move to the UK where our uncle lives. Which English language exam should she prepare for: IELTS or TOEFL?  — R T Dhillon

A. Doctors, nurses, dentists and midwives who wish to to apply for the Tier 2 (General) visa to practice in the UK, no longer need to take English language tests like TOEFL and IELTS as the country now accepts OET scores. This international English language test assesses the language communication skills of healthcare professionals working in an English-speaking environment.

OET is conducted by Cambridge Boxhill Language Assessment, a venture between Cambridge Assessment English and the Box Hill Institute.

Not only is OET recognised as proof of English proficiency for registration purposes by major healthcare boards and councils in the UK, but also by those of Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Dubai, Singapore, Namibia and Ukraine.

The OET is valid as an entry / exit test for healthcare courses for 12 professions — dentistry, dietetics, medicine, nursing, occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy etc.

Is community college a good idea

Q. I’m presently preparing for my Class XII Boards. Although I would love to study in the US (and my parents are OK with it), I haven’t prepared for SAT/ACT so far, my aunt who is based in Connecticut suggests I live with her and enroll in a Community College nearby. Please tell me how easy it is to transfer to a regular college or university after studying for two years in a Community College? — Bansuri Walia

A. Transferring from a community college to a four-year college or university will depend on several factors, including the state and educational institutions in which your community college is located as well as on your overall performance (credits) and the major you’re opting for.

Some Community Colleges have an agreement with nearby colleges to ensure credits transfer, and whether or not those credits will count as electives or toward a major's requirements.

While some states have smoother transfer systems than others, within a given state, some community colleges have better transfer relationships with some specific four-year institutions.

Please ask your aunt to check this before initiating the application process.


View All

Rain cheer for farmers

Some city parts witness waterlogging; commuters suffer

Shopkeepers booked for blocking national highway

Bargari residents had protested rising theft cases

F&CC meeting on February 24

Kala Sanghian pollution on agenda

Yuvika 2020: ISRO to hold Young Scientist Programme

Edu Dept asks school principals to register students by Feb ...

Opium recovered from suspended SHO’s residence

40k bribe money found in his driver’s house

China’s loss, India’s gain

US firms show interest in bulk purchases from India