Friday, July 19, 2019
facebook
Nation

Posted at: Apr 30, 2019, 1:44 PM; last updated: Apr 30, 2019, 5:08 PM (IST)

1984 anti-Sikh riots case: SC sets aside conviction of 15 in Trilokpuri case

No direct evidence, says court
1984 anti-Sikh riots case: SC sets aside conviction of 15 in Trilokpuri case
A Bench headed by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi said there was no direct evidence against these men and they were not identified by witnesses. File photo

Tribune News Service
New Delhi, April 30

Supreme Court on Tuesday set aside conviction of 15 men held guilty of rioting and arson in a connection with anti-Sikh riots in East Delhi’s Trilokpuri in 1984.

A Bench headed by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi said there was no direct evidence against these men and they were not identified by witnesses.

The Delhi High Court had upheld the 1996 verdict of the trial court convicting them of rioting and arson in November last year.

Police had recovered 95 dead bodies from Trilokpuri—one of the worst affected areas of Delhi in the riots that broke out after the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi on October 30, 1984. More than 100 houses of Sikhs were also burnt.

But charges of murder could not be brought against any of the 80 accused.

COMMENTS

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On