Thursday, October 17, 2019
facebook
Nation

Posted at: May 21, 2019, 6:56 AM; last updated: May 21, 2019, 10:29 AM (IST)

2016 surgical strike was first, says Lt Gen Ranbir, the then DGMO

Amit Khajuria

Tribune News Service

UDHAMPUR, May 20

The General Officer Commanding-in-Chief,  Northern Command, Lt Gen Ranbir Singh, today said the 2016 surgical strike by the Indian Army was the first surgical strike of the country.

Lt Gen Ranbir Singh, who was then Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) and the face of the surgical strike operation, said, “I will not comment on the political statements made by any party, but in reply to an RTI, the DGMO recently informed the Ministry of Defence that the first surgical strike was carried out in 2016.” 

A few days ago, the Congress had claimed that six surgical strikes were conducted during the UPA regime and two during Vajpayee’s tenure.

He said there had been a huge decline in local militancy in the state, as 217 youths picked up guns last year and the number this year was 40. “The security forces are reaching  out to elders, teachers, parents, so they explain the futility of picking up guns.”

COMMENTS

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On