Thursday, March 21, 2019
facebook
FLASH
  • The Tribune wishes its readers a happy and colourful Holi
Nation

Posted at: Mar 15, 2019, 7:52 PM; last updated: Mar 15, 2019, 10:05 PM (IST)

Hyderabadi man injured in New Zealand mosque attack

Hyderabadi man injured in New Zealand mosque attack
At least one gunmen killed 49 people and injured more than 40 during Friday prayers at two New Zealand mosques. AP/PTI

Tribune News Service

Hyderabad, March 15

An Indian-origin man was injured in the Christchurch terror attacks, his relatives residing in Hyderabad said on Friday.

At least 49 worshippers were killed in attacks on the Al Noor Mosque in central Christchurch and the Linwood Mosque in the city’s outer suburb, in what appeared to be the worst attack on Muslims in a western country.

Khursheed Jahangir said his brother Ahmed Iqbal Jahangir was injured during the attack and is currently undergoing treatment at a local hospital in Christchurch.

“He is injured. He is recovering in a hospital now. The latest information we received is that he is undergoing a surgery. We have seen the video.

"He has been shot in the chest and we are trying to reach Indian embassy people and local helpline numbers,” Khursheed Jahangir said.

He said he spoke to AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi for help in reaching out to authorities for a visa and other formalities to go to New Zealand to see his brother.

Khursheed Jahangir said he has visited New Zealand twice and described it as one of the “safest” places in the world.

Asaduddin Owaisi tweeted requesting External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and the Telangana Governments help to enable the family to go to New Zealand.

“I request @KTRTRS @TelanganaCMO @MEAIndia @SushmaSwaraj to make necessary arrangements for the Khursheed family,” Owaisi said in a tweet.

“These are Mr.Khursheed’s passport details.

“His brother is serious & his family has little support. I’m only requesting the immediate support of your good offices in expediting his visa process.

“Hell make all arrangements to travel to NZ by himself,” Owaisi said in another tweet.

Reacting to Owaisis request, TRS working President and former minister KT Rama Rao tweeted “Asad Saab, Will request our NRI department to assist.”

Owaisi, in another tweet, said “Farhaj Ahsan, a person of Indian origin, was also reported to have gone to the same mosque and is currently missing.

His family is in Hyderabad, I request immediate assistance to his family as well.

His familys contact details are available with me & Ill share the same with you.”

Farhaj Ahsan’s parents could not be reached.

Suresh Kumar, a family friend of Ahmed Iqbal, said in a video footage they could see images of Iqbal, who runs a restaurant in New Zealand, at a mosque when the attack took place.

“Since then we (Iqbal’s family in Hyderabad) have been trying to reach him. We could not reach him over phone.

His wife is in a state of shock.

“We have sought the state governments help to send one of the family members to New Zealand,” Kumar said.

According to Suresh, Ahmed Iqbal has been living in New Zealand for over a decade and settled there.

He has two children and is said to have permanent residency of that country.

The gunman at one mosque was an Australian-born citizen, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said in Sydney, describing him as “an extremist, right-wing, violent terrorist”. With PTI

COMMENTS

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On