New Delhi, December 8
President Ram Nath Kovind, Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, PM Narendra Modi and leaders across the political spectrum condoled the demise of General Bipin Rawat.
4 decades in uniform
- Gen Rawat was commissioned in Fifth Battalion of 11 Gorkha Rifles in 1978
- Earned his spurs in counter-insurgency and high-altitude warfare in Northern and Eastern commands
- During standoff with China at Sumdrong Chu in Arunachal in 1986, he was posted in the same sector
- Was Southern Command Chief, before that commanded 3 Corps at Dimapur. As Brigadier, commanded 5 Sector of RR in Sopore
- Decorated with many honours, including the Param Vishisht Seva Medal
President Kovind tweeted: “The nation has lost one of its bravest sons. His four decades of selfless service to the motherland was marked by exceptional gallantry and heroism.” Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he was deeply anguished by the helicopter crash in which “we have lost General Bipin Rawat, his wife and other personnel of the armed forces. They served India with utmost diligence.” He hailed the General as an “outstanding soldier” and a “true patriot.” Former Congress president Rahul Gandhi called the crash “an unprecedented tragedy.” Home Minister Amit Shah said Gen Rawat’s “exemplary contribution & commitment cannot be put into words.” — TNS
Don't MissView All
The incident occurred around 1.30 am, one deceased included ...
The Covid death toll now stands at 4.9 lakh
His comments were captured on video and by the microphone in...
The missile fire further escalates tensions across the Persi...