Tuesday, December 18, 2018
facebook

google plus
Sport

Posted at: Dec 7, 2018, 2:18 AM; last updated: Dec 7, 2018, 2:18 AM (IST)

Cancer-hit Lee eyes return, Oly

Cancer-hit Lee eyes return, Oly
Lee Chong Wei

Kuala Lumpur, Dec 6

Former world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei could return to the badminton court within a fortnight after fighting back from nose cancer, an official said on Thursday. The three-time Olympics silver medallist, who has spent nearly five months on the sidelines, is already doing light fitness work after receiving a clean bill of health from doctors.  “He sounded cheerful,” said Norza Zakaria, president of the Badminton Association of Malaysia, after speaking to Lee on the phone. 

“Yes I think so,” he added, when asked to confirm reports that Lee would resume training in two weeks. “I'm sure he will be ready by the time the Olympics qualifying period commences on May 1.” 

Lee, down to 15th spot in the Badminton World Federation rankings, last played competitively at the Indonesian Open in July. Last month, Lee, 36, insisted he was not going to hang up his racquet. “I want to come back to court,” he told a press conference, adding: “As of now, I am not retiring.”  

Lee also said he was targeting a competitive comeback at the All England Open in March, and was still eying an elusive Olympics gold at the 2020 Tokyo Games. Lee's unsuccessful attempts to capture Malaysia's first ever Olympics gold medal at three consecutive Summer Games were followed avidly back home, as was his long-running rivalry with Chinese superstar Lin Dan. — PTI 

COMMENTS

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On