icon
DT
PT
Subscribe To Print Edition About The Tribune Code Of Ethics Download App Careers Advertise with us Classifieds
GenZ Speak Up !
Add Tribune As Your Trusted Source
search-icon-img
search-icon-img
Advertisement

Iran-US talks in Islamabad held via indirect, direct channels: sources

Technical aspects of the demands presented by the two sides were discussed at the expert level

  • fb
  • twitter
  • whatsapp
  • whatsapp
featured-img featured-img
US Vice President JD Vance, left, shakes hands with Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Saturday while meeting in Islamabad for talks about Iran. Image credit/AP/PTI
Advertisement

The Iran-US peace talks were conducted first indirectly through Pakistan and later through direct negotiations between the two sides, official sources said on Sunday.

Advertisement

Pakistan remained involved at every stage of the process, with the talks beginning with separate meetings of the US and Iranian delegations with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Saturday.

Advertisement

This was followed by an exchange of messages between the two sides through Pakistani interlocutors, the sources said.

Advertisement

Related news: Iran-Israel War LIVE updates: ‘Bad news’: JD Vance says no agreement reached after peace talks with Iran

Iran says talks marked by ‘mistrust, suspicion’; breakthrough wasn’t expected in single round

Advertisement

US-Iran talks collapse in Islamabad; Vance returns without deal

Vance spoke to Trump ‘dozen times’ during high-stakes US-Iran talks

Tankers exit Gulf via Strait of Hormuz

Pakistan urges US, Iran to uphold ceasefire after talks end without breakthrough

The Iranian delegation was led by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqir Galibaf, while the US team was headed by Vice President JD Vance.

According to sources, the negotiations then moved to direct talks between the visiting delegations, which continued for about two-and-a-half hours in the presence of Pakistani officials.

In the next phase, a one-hour break was taken and technical aspects of the demands presented by the two sides were discussed at the expert level. The exchange of messages on technical aspects continued until late at night.

However, by Sunday morning, it became clear that the differences could not be bridged, leading US Vice President JD Vance to announce at a brief press conference that the talks ended without a deal.

The sources said Pakistan remains hopeful of further rounds of talks, though no date or venue has been finalised so far.

The Pakistani government had earlier said it would continue to play its role as a mediator and expressed hope that the talks would prove to be a step towards resolving the dispute.

The Iranian delegation had arrived in Islamabad on Friday night, while the US team arrived on Saturday morning.

The US side also included President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff, while Iran was also represented by Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and other senior leaders.

The two sides travelled to Islamabad, days after Iran and the US announced a two-week ceasefire on April 8. It was the first direct, high-level engagement between Iran and the US since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

The failure to arrive at an agreement following the face-to-face negotiations between the two sides raised doubts over the effectiveness of their fragile two-week ceasefire as well as the prospect of reopening the Strait of Hormuz to stabilise the global energy market.

Read what others can’t with The Tribune Premium

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tlbr_img1 Classifieds tlbr_img2 Videos tlbr_img3 Premium tlbr_img4 E-Paper tlbr_img5 Shorts