Sunday, October 20, 2019
facebook
World

Posted at: Dec 31, 2015, 1:29 AM; last updated: Dec 31, 2015, 1:29 AM (IST)

Pak-origin ‘Silent Bomber’ couple jailed for life over London terror plot

Pak-origin ‘Silent Bomber’ couple jailed for life over London terror plot
Mohammed Rehman (L) and his wife Sana Ahmed Khan have been convicted of planning bombing of civilian targets in London to mark the 10th anniversary of the July 7, 2005. AP/PTI

London, December 30

A British couple of Pakistan-origin has been found guilty of plotting a massive terror attack in London ahead of the 10th anniversary of the July 7 bombings this year.

The Old Bailey court in London yesterday convicted Mohammed Rehman, who tweeted about targeting the London Underground network and Westfield shopping centre of the city under the name "Silent Bomber", and his wife Sana Ahmed Khan, who plotted to become Britain's first woman suicide bomber.

The couple is said to be Pakistani origin as the man had a previous arranged marriage in that country.

With money from wife Sana Ahmed Khan, the 25-year-old stockpiled chemicals needed to make a huge bomb at his family home in Reading, about an hour west of London, and even filmed himself setting off a small explosion in his back garden.

Susan Hemming, head of the UK's Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) counter-terrorism division, said: "The intention to carry out some form of terrorism attack was clear from the threatening statements made in Rehman's tweets. It was these tweets that led to his and his wife's arrest.

"Investigations found that Rehman and Ahmed Khan had carried out huge amounts of research relating to terrorist attacks - repeatedly searching the Internet for videos relating to the London bombings. As many as 10kg of urea nitrate were found at Rehman's house, a highly explosive chemical, which if detonated would have caused multiple fatalities on the London Underground.

"The pair had been very close to carrying out an attack, all they required was to purchase the chemicals to make a detonator. There is little doubt that, had Rehman and Ahmed Khan not been stopped when they were, they would have attempted to carry out an act of terrorism in London." Police began monitoring Rehman after he sent out a tweet in May as "Silent Bomber".

The tweet asked followers to advise him on where he should carry out a terrorist attack: "Westfield shopping centre or London underground? Any advice would be appreciated greatly."

In another tweet, he said: "Plus I don't need an army, all I need is my explosive vest and a beautiful area full of crowded ***** like you LOL."

Rehman used an image of the Jihadi John, believed killed earlier this year, as his profile picture.

Rehman was also convicted of possessing an article for terrorist purposes.

The couple will be sentenced later this week. The July 7, 2005 attacks had killed 52 civilians. — PTI


Qaida reemerging amid US battle against IS, Taliban  

  • Amid counter-terrorism efforts by the United States against IS and the Taliban, an old enemy of the country, Al-Qaida, seems to be reappearing as their training camps are sprouting up in Afghanistan
  • According to The New York Times, the recent reports of Qaida reemerging seems to be forcing Pentagon and American intelligence agencies to assess whether they could again become a breeding ground for attacks on the US
  • Most of the handful of camps are not as big as those that Osama Bin Laden built before the 9/11 attacks. The scope of Qaida's deadly resilience in Afghanistan appears to have taken American and Afghan officials by surprise

Turkey detains IS suspects over attack plot 

  • Turkish police on Wednesday detained two Islamic State suspects accused of plotting a suicide bomb attack on New Year's Eve celebrations in the capital Ankara
  • The pair, whose nationality was not disclosed, were planning to strike an area in the centre of the city that is expected to be packed with revellers on the night of December 31
  • Turkey is on a high security alert after 103 people were killed on October 10 when two suicide bombers ripped through a crowd of peace activists in Ankara, the worst attack in modern Turkey's history

COMMENTS

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.
Share On