Add Tribune As Your Trusted Source
TrendingVideosIndia
Opinions | CommentEditorialsThe MiddleLetters to the EditorReflections
UPSC | Exam ScheduleExam Mentor
State | Himachal PradeshPunjabJammu & KashmirHaryanaChhattisgarhMadhya PradeshRajasthanUttarakhandUttar Pradesh
City | ChandigarhAmritsarJalandharLudhianaDelhiPatialaBathindaShaharnama
World | ChinaUnited StatesPakistan
Diaspora
Features | The Tribune ScienceTime CapsuleSpectrumIn-DepthTravelFood
Business | My Money
News Columns | Straight DriveCanada CallingLondon LetterKashmir AngleJammu JournalInside the CapitalHimachal CallingHill ViewBenchmark
Don't Miss
Advertisement

Trump closes "above and surrounding" Venezuela's airspace "in its entirety"

Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium

Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Yearly Premium ₹999 ₹349/Year
Yearly Premium $49 $24.99/Year
Advertisement

Washington DC [US], November 29 (ANI): Amid a growing row over drug trafficking with Venezuelan counterpart Nicolas Maduro, US President Donald Trump on Saturday closed the airspace "above and surrounding" Venezuela "in its entirety."

Advertisement

The US President's statement comes as Trump's administration piles pressure on Venezuela with a major military deployment in the Caribbean that includes the world's largest aircraft carrier.

Advertisement

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said, "To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY. Thank you for your attention to this matter! PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP"

No immediate response from Venezuela after Trump's social media post on Saturday.

US forces have carried out air strikes against more than 20 alleged Venezuelan drug-smuggling vessels in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean since early September, killing more than 80 people.

Advertisement

Trump's announcement comes a day after The New York Times reported that the US president spoke with Maduro last week and discussed a possible meeting between them in the US.

There was no official confirmation, but the publication cited multiple people with knowledge of the matter. The report said there were no plans for such a meeting at the moment.

If it were to take place, it would be the first-ever meeting between Maduro, who's been leading Venezuela since 2013, and a US president.

Regional tensions have flared as a result of the US's anti-drug campaign and the accompanying military build-up off Venezuela, Al Jazeera reported.

US aviation authorities last week urged civilian aircraft operating in Venezuelan airspace to "exercise caution" because of the "worsening security situation and heightened military activity in or around Venezuela," as per Al Jazeera.

That warning prompted six airlines, which account for much of South America's travel, to suspend flights to Venezuela.

The move infuriated Caracas and led it to ban the companies - Spain's Iberia, Portugal's TAP, Colombia's Avianca, Chile and Brazil's LATAM, Brazil's GOL and Turkish Airlines - for "joining the actions of state terrorism promoted by the United States government," Al Jazeera reported. (ANI)

(This content is sourced from a syndicated feed and is published as received. The Tribune assumes no responsibility or liability for its accuracy, completeness, or content.)

Advertisement
Tags :
Air StrikesAircraft CarrierAirspace closureCaribbeandonald trumpDrug dealersHuman traffickersmilitary deploymentUS PresidentVenezuelaVenezuelan drug-smuggling
Show comments
Advertisement