J A M M U   &   K A S H M I R

Three militants killed in J&K

Srinagar, December 12
Three militants among five persons were killed while the security forces apprehended a Hizbul Mujahideen ultra in Jammu and Kashmir during the past 24 hours, an official spokesman said today.

The security forces and the Jammu and Kashmir Police, on a tip-off that some militants were hiding in the house of Ghulam Nabi Mir at Kumar Mohalla Soqam in Kupwara, laid a cordon and sealed all exit points in the area last evening.

The spokesman said as the security forces were about to storm the house, militants hurled hand grenades and opened indiscriminate fire. The security forces retaliated and the gunfight lasted several hours.

Later, bodies of two militants were recovered from under the debris of the damaged house, he said.

Two AK rifles, seven magazines, two hand grenades, one wireless set and Rs 3 lakh were seized from the encounter site, the spokesman said, adding that both militants belonged to the Al-Badr. However, villagers later alleged that the forces fired mortars to destroy the house due to which some more residential buildings were damaged.

An encounter erupted between the security forces and militants at Zangalpora village under the Kulgam police station in south Kashmir last evening during which one ultra was killed.




One AK rifle, three magazines, one hand grenade, 20 rounds and one pouch were seized from the slain ultra, identified as Feroz Ahmad Ganai of the banned Hizbul Mujahideen.

The security forces recovered the body of labourer Abdul Rehman Mir from the Police Control Room Complex here early today. The cause of his death was being ascertained, he added.

The body of Ghulam Mohammad Bhat, a peon in the Mallinson School here, was also recovered by the security forces from his Gow Kadal house under the Matsuma police station today.

The police had registered separate cases and started investigations, the spokesman said.

The police apprehended a Hizbul Mujahideen ultra from Arabal Shalimar and seized one UBGL, two detonators and 30 rounds from him.

Militants beat up a woman and set two houses on fire at Kainchi Morh near Dharamsal in the Rajouri district last night, the police said today.

Zubeda Begum was collecting firewood in the forests near the village last evening when she came across a group of militants. They let her off with a warning not to inform villagers.

Reaching home, Zubeda ignored the warning and told everybody about them. The angered militants barged into her house late in the night and beat her up. They fled after setting fire to her house and that of a neighbour, sources said.

There were, however, no casualties as the two families managed to escape to safety before the flames engulfed their houses.

The sources said the security forces had launched an operation in the forests to nab the militants. — UNI

HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Mailbag | Chandigarh | Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |