R E G I O N A L   B R I E F S


Sarpanch absconding
: The police has been unable to trace a sarpanch accused in a forgery case for the past few months. According to information, Parveen Kumar, a resident of Takrala village in Nawanshehr district, and the sarpanch of his village and Rinku Chaudhry of Balachaur were booked under Sections 420 and 120-B of the IPC some moths back, but could not be arrested despite repeated raids. The accused were booked on the complaints of Jarnail Singh of Samgouli and Harjeet Pal of Sundran district, Mohali. They had stated in their complaint that the above accused had duped them of Rs 33 lakh by making false promise of selling a piece of land. The police said there was no permanent residence of Parveen and he had been duping innocent people for a long time. 

Regional centre set up: Punjab Technical University (PTU) has opened a regional centre at the Sri Sukhmani Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi. The centre will offer courses in computer science, engineering and communication. Chairman Avtar Singh said 85 per cent of the total seats would be filled by the university under the sponsored category and the remaining 15 per cent seats would be filled under the non-sponsored category. 

New course
:Gurukul Vidyapeeth has got approval for four-year BTech course in aeronautical Engineering.The course is affiliated to Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar. The institute has also started a course in BTech (chemical engineering) from the 2010-11 academic session. Desh Raj Thakral, executive director, Gurukul Vidyapeeth, said admission to the course would be on the basis of CET exam.



Date extended: The date for submission of forms for part-time courses in languages like German, Russian, French, Urdu, Persian, Chinese and Tibetan at Panjab University, Chandigarh, has been extended to July, 30, 2010. Interested applicants may contact the respective language departments for interview dates and other information. 

Seminar: A seminar was held at Nahar Complex, Lalru, on Thursday.BB Puri, ESIC regional director, Punjab, briefed about the computerisation project “Panchdeep” which would take off in August this year. In Lalru, there are 45,000 employees. The regional director said the ESIC had approved the construction of a hospital in the area. The project will help connect all 2,220 ESIC locations in the country. It will make available online registration of employer as well as employees.

55 saplings planted: Har-phool Chander Kalyan, municipal councillor, planted saplings of Chakrassia in a park at Maloya village on Friday. More than 55 saplings Alenstonia and Kaner were planted. 



Plumber found dead
: The Pinjore police has recovered the body of a 40-year-old man. The police said it got a message that a body was lying in the Forest Colony, Pinjore, near police station. The body of Jaswant Kumar was sent to the Kalka Civil Hospital for autopsy and was handed over to the relatives after the postmortem. The deceased was a resident of Abdullapur Colony, Pinjore, and was a plumber.


HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Letters | Chandigarh | Classified Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |