B A T H I N D A    E D I T I O N

Kabaddi player killed in freak accident
Gurdeep Singh Mann
Tribune News Service

Bathinda, October 11
An 18-year-old kabaddi player of Bhawanigarh died in a freak accident late last night. The deceased, Talwinder Singh, tried to cross the road divider and was electrocuted at around 10.30 pm.

Talwinder's team from Sangrur stood second in the Punjab State School Games in the under-19 circle kabaddi events. He stayed for the prize distribution ceremony despite repeated requests by his parents yesterday.

"His parents asked him to come back but Talwinder decide to take the certificate and the prize shield and be a part of the photo-op of the winning team," said the principal of Dashmesh School, Ravinder Mann.

Mann said the teams from Sangrur and Mansa stayed in his school during the games. "While the Mansa team lost the match and left after staying for one night, the Sangrur boys were in the school. I congratulated the players at 6 pm and left the school," Mann said.


DSP (Detective) Ranjeet Singh said he was on patrolling duty at night and spotted the boys just a few minutes after the mishap. "Police initially registered a case of death due to negligence under Section 304-A against the Municipal Corporation officials. The names of officials responsible for the negligence would be added later," the DSP said.

He pointed out that the role of Powercom officials will also be probed and if found guilty, they may be booked for negligence.

The DSP said that usually, a large number of people, including the students of Dashmesh School, also cross the road at the same place. "But last night, the fuse of a bulb on a pole in the street was blown and the current passed through the wires with which the player came in contact," the police official said. He added that while the boy's friends crossed the divider, only Talwinder came in contact with the live wire.

Visibly upset, the parents of Talwinder were in a state of shock when they arrived at 2 am today. Chairman of Zila Parishad, Gurpreet Maluka reached the Civil Hospital to condole the death of the player and expressed sympathy with the family members. He said stringent action would be taken against the officials of Powercom and Bathinda Municipal Corporation if they were found guilty of negligence.



HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Letters | Chandigarh | Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | E-mail |