Compuquiz — 84
1. Which mobile positioning technique used by emergency services to find a caller's location?
2. What takes the entire allocated frequency range for a given service and multiplexes information for all users across the spectrum range at the same time in order to optimise bandwidth?
3. If a transmission is good, what happens when a mobile or portable cellular subscriber passes from one cell into another and the network has to switch coverage responsibility from one base station to another?
4. Which technology allows programmers to use Java programming language and related tools to develop programs for mobile wireless information devices such as cellular phones and personal digital assistants (PDAs)?
5. This is a computing and telecommunications industry specification that describes how mobile phones, computers, and personal digital assistants can connect with phones and computers by using a short-range wireless connection. Which is it?
6. Which term was invented by networking expert John Sidgmore to describe the tiny portable electronic devices that experts predict will become wildly popular with young people and put new demands on network bandwidth capacity?
7. This third-generation, broadband, packet-based transmission of text, digitized voice, and video offers a consistent set of services to mobile computer and phone users no matter where they are located in the world. Which is it?
8. This family of "smart" microprocessors from Transmeta is expected to introduce a new era of low-powered mobile devices that can run all day without requiring a battery recharge. Name it.
9. Which term is used to describe what can happen when someone accidentally sits on a cellular telephone?
10. This wireless transmission refers to energy whose wavelengths are longer than those of visible light, but shorter than those of radio waves. Which is it?
Answers to Compuquiz 82
1.Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
2.Session Initiation Protocol
3.Layer Two Tunneling Protocol
4.Exterior Gateway Protocol
5.Next Hop Resolution Protocol
6.Open Trading Protocol
7.Internet Message Access Protocol
8.Transmission Control Protocol
10.Common Management Information Protocol
The following are the winners of Compuquiz 82
1. Param Sandhu, Nakodar
2. Kishore Kumar Tewari, New Delhi
3. Lalit Kumar, Jalandhar
Answers to Compuquiz 81
4. MAC address
5. Twisted pair
6. Edge device
The following are the winners of Compuquiz 81
1. R.S. Hundal, Amritsar
2. Himanshu Bhardwaj, New Delhi
3. Rajesh Jindal, Faridabad
1. The readers who submit correct answers will be awarded the following cash prizes by The Tribune: First prize Rs 1,000, second prize Rs 750, third prize Rs 500.
2. All entries must be accompanied with a clipping of this quiz.
3. Entries should be sent to Quizmaster, Log in....Tribune, The Tribune, Sector 29-C, Chandigarh latest by May 27, 2002.
4. In case of more than one correct entry, prizes will be decided by a draw of lots. The decision of the Quizmaster in this regard will be final.
5. The answers and result of Compuquiz-84 will be published in the issue of June 3, 2002.
6. Entries should be sent on plain paper preferably typed in double space or handwritten legibly in block letters.
7. All entries must carry the sender's
name, complete address and contact number.