R E G I O N A L   B R I E F S


Bassi Pathana
Food samples taken
: The health department team led by Dr Randhir Singh, SMO, and Dr Jaiwant Cheema took samples of eatables in the town here on Monday. The team succeeded in taking eight samples of essential commodities like milk, curd, ghee, haldi etc. As the news regarding inspection spread in the town, most shopkeepers pulled down their shutters and fled. Dr Randhir Singh said on directions of Dr Reena Sidhu, civil surgeon, anti-adulteration drive, had been launched in the district and to take samples was part of it. He said people should co-operate with the department to curb the menace. He said these samples would be sent for analysis and action would be taken accordingly.

Gas leak renders man unconscious
: A person working as a tubewell operator at ward No 4, here, got unconscious due to leakage of chlorine gas from a cylinder in the tubewell room on Monday. The gas cylinder was put in the tubewell for the purpose of purifying water. Gufar Khan was affected by gas and fell unconscious. Fire brigade reached on the spot and took the cylinder outside where the gas was controlled.

Dr Stya Paul dead: Dr Stya Paul, Chairman of the Apeejay Stya Group and president of the Apeejay Education Society, New Delhi, died this morning.The Apeejay fraternity mourned the death of Dr Paul, who was a luminary in the field of higher education.

Rs 2 lakh for dharamshala
: Congress MP from the Hoshiarpur Lok Sabha seat Santosh Chaudhary on Monday released a grant of Rs 2 lakh from her MPLAD fund scheme for the gram panchayat of Satial village to construct a dharamshala. Sarpanch Manjit Kaur said the village had a population of over 550 Dalits. On his visit to Hoshiarpur on September 2008, AICC General Secretary Rahul Gandhi had promised to get constructed a dharamshala. However, he failed to fulfil his promise and the matter. The sarpanch thanked the MPfor honouring the promise of her leader.

Board to revise result
: The Punjab School Education Board (PSEB) will revise the open school result. A week after declaring the result, the board officials found that they had not given grace marks to students. The fact came to light when marksheets of candidates were given to the Board employee for rechecking. Now, after giving grace marks, the result was being revised on the Board’s website.

Tubewells inaugurated
: Technical Education Minister Swaran Ram inaugurated two tubewells worth Rs 32.5 lakh at two different places in Phagwara. Problems of drinking water of the residents of Basant Bagh, Satnampura, Neema Mohalla, New Satnampura, Adarsh Nagar, Lamian Mohalla, Chopra Mohalla and Kapooran Mohalla could be solved with the installation of these two tube wells. Phagwara SDM Amarjit Paul was also present on the occasion.



Biker killed
: A youth of Ambala Cantt was killed near Model Town at Ambala City on Monday when his motorbike was hit by a tractor-trolley. The driver of the tractor-trolley fled from the site. According to information, Vishal (22) was going to the SDM office on this motorbike to collect a driving license. His brother was sitting on the backseat of the motorbike. When they were crossing near Model Town, a tractor-trolley hit their motorbike. Vishal sustained head injuries. He was rushed to the local civil hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. His brother sustained minor injuries. The police registered a case against the driver of the tractor-trolley.

Register FIR, orders court
: Special Judge Naresh Katyal, after hearing arguments in a case pertaining to electricity theft, on Friday sent the complaint to the SHO, City police station, Kaithal, for the registration of an FIR. The electricity theft was reported by Himanshu Panwar, SDO, subdivision No. 2.

Paint store gutted
: Articles worth thousands of ruppes were gutted in a fire incident at a paint store of Pinjore. According to information, the incident took place around 4 pm on Monday in the store situated on National Highway 22, near T-point of Pinjore, was noticed by some passersby, who saw smoke emanating from the store and raised the alarm. The police called the fire tenders from Panchkula who reached within 30 minutes and it took them 30 minutes to extinguish the fire. Ranghuvansh Malhotra, the owner of the store, was in Gurgaon to attend the funeral of his father, when the fire broke out. The reason behind the incident was yet to be ascertained.

Open darbar: To redress the grievances of consumers of the UHBVN, an open darbar was organised in Pinjore on Monday. As many as 28 complaints were heard in the open darbar by RK Sharma, the Superintendent Engineer of the department. Most of the problems were related to low voltage problem being faced by the residents of the area. Gurcharan Dhiman, one of the complainants, in his complaint said the project of installing a separate feeder for the tubewell of public health was lying pending since two years. Sharma said the work on this project would soon be started. PK Goel, XEN of the department, said in case of non-availability of meters with the UHBVN, the consumer may arrange their own meter, for which the department would not charge anything.

Stray dogs injure sambar: A sambar, who went astray from nearby forests, was injured by stray dogs in Basaulan village of Pinjore on Monday. Official sources of the forest department said the two-year-old sambar strayed from the forest and hid in the pond of the village. Some villagers saved it from stray dogs and informed the wildlife department of Pinjore. Employees of the dept rushed to the spot and took the sambar in their procession and left it in the forests of Bir Shikargah after giving it treatment.

Farmers submit memo
: A deputation of disgruntled farmers of Nahar, Kohard and Jhal villages of the Kosli region led by Satbir Bhagat met Additional Deputy Commissioner A Mona Sriniwas here on Monday and submitted a memorandum seeking cancellation of the recent lease of the agricultural land measuring over 12 acres of the Government Postgraduate College, Nahar. Demanding a probe into the lease proceedings held on June 2, they alleged that the land had been rented out at a paltry amount to certain preferred farmers in a hush-hush manner by the Nahar village panchayat in connivance with the college authorities. The ADC deputed the District Development and Panchayat Officer to conduct a probe into the incident.

3 peacocks electrocuted: As many as three peacocks perished due to electric shock caused by incidental entanglement in HT wires at Dahina village, 24 km from here, on Monday. Expressing resentment at the alleged apathy of the DHBVN authorities, the villagers reiterated their demand of speedy insulation of the uncovered HT wires to save peacocks. Simultaneously, they also informed officials of the wildlife department about the electrocution of peacocks.

Office-bearers elected
: Manoj Jain was unanimously elected district president of the BJP in a meeting of party leaders held here on Monday. Former state youth president of the party Pradeep Jain was the returning officer of the election process. Seven others - state media in charge of BJP Rajiv Jain, Ram Kumar Mittal, former district president Dr Om Prakash Atre, Ram Niwas, Azad Singh Nehra, MLA Kavita Jain and former MLA Devi Dass were also elected unopposed as the members of the party’s state council.


HOME PAGE | Punjab | Haryana | Jammu & Kashmir | Himachal Pradesh | Regional Briefs | Nation | Opinions |
| Business | Sports | World | Letters | Chandigarh | Classified Ludhiana | Delhi |
| Calendar | Weather | Archive | Subscribe | Suggestion | E-mail |