‘I am not disqualified and can’t be pushed out’
BCCI says it did not break FEMA rules during IPL-2
Rahul, Yuvi knock Windies out
Royals go seven-up over MI
CSK seek a good start against Titans
Vijender’s alma mater faces ban after scoring fracas
Chennai, September 21
“Why should I step aside? I am not disqualified and neither can you push me out,” a combative Srinivasan told mediapersons when asked whether he would step aside following the chargesheet against Meiyappan.
Gurunath was charged under sections 415, 420 and 417 of the Indian Penal Code, which deal with cheating and fraud, and section 130 of Bombay Police Act, which concerns cheating at games.
The Tamil Nadu strongman sought to distance himself from his controversial son-in-law, who was earlier arrested during IPL-VI for placing bets on CSK matches.
“I have always maintained that if Gurunath is wrong then the law will take its own course. You people must realise that I am not disqualified at all. The press is trying to take a position and I beg to differ. I don’t agree with you,” Srinivasan said.
Srinivasan was evasive when asked about the two-member probe commission, comprising of retired judges of Madras High Court, formed by BCCI.
“For your information, the matter is before the Honourable Supreme Court and I am not going to comment on the matter as it is still sub-judice.” Asked about the chargesheet filed against Meiyappan, which has charged the former CSK Team Principal for session betting which is done by someone privy to team’s inside information, Srinivasan offered a straight bat.
“I have not seen the chargesheet yet. I will be asking the secretary of the BCCI to to take legal advice if he finds it necessary,” he said.
Srinivasan, whose company India Cements owns the Chennai Super Kings, was forced to step aside as Board President on moral grounds after Meiyappan was arrested for allegedly indulging in betting during the IPL this year.
“This is a matter for Mr Gurunath Meiyappan to deal with. The law will take its own course. He has been suspended so he has got nothing to do with the game,” Srinivasan said.
“It is upto him to defend his position, it has got nothing to do with me,” he added.
Srinivasan, who has remained defiant despite stepping aside, reiterated that he would contest the BCCI Presidential election during the September 29 Annual General Meeting in Chennai.
“I will chair the meeting as President and inspite of what you (the media) feel, I may get elected,” he said.
The IPL spot-fixing controversy broke out in May with the arrest of Rajasthan Royals players S Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan by the Delhi Police for conceding a specified number of runs per over in return for money from illegal bookmakers.
Sreesanth and Chavan were recently slapped with life bans by the BCCI.
The BCCI also handed out a five-year ban to Royals’ Amit Singh, while another Rajasthan cricketer Siddharth Trivedi got a one-year suspension.
There was no decision on Chandila, who recently got out on bail. His role is still being probed, and a decision will be taken soon. — PTI
New Delhi, September 21
Reacting to a media report which stated that the BCCI had been issued a notice by the Enforcement Directorate for contravening Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) by remitting Rs 283 crore to Cricket South Africa and paying IMG Rs 88.48 crore for services in the conduct of the IPL, the Board stated the “violation of Rs 1600 crores mentioned in the report is misleading”.
“The BCCI wishes to clarify that these Show Cause Notices were issued in July 2011 and October 2011 and that the BCCI has given detailed replies refuting the charges,” BCCI Secretary Sanjay Patel said.
“The BCCI also wishes to clarify that the reported violation of Rs 1600 crores mentioned in the report is misleading. The total foreign exchange payments made to CSA and IMG covered by these notices were only Rs 283 crores but adding up charges of contraventions of multiple provisions of FEMA has resulted in this figure.”
Patel said the BCCI, in its reply to ED, has pointed out that these transactions led to increased foreign exchange for India and that the BCCI had been professionally advised that these remittances were “current account transactions” that did not require prior approval of RBI.
“Further these remittances were made through an Authorised Dealer viz. a Nationalised Bank that is licensed by the RBI to conduct foreign exchange transactions after furnishing all the required documents and information called for, none of which is alleged to be false,” he said. — PTI
Bengaluru, September 21
Opting to bat, the hosts posted a mammoth 214 for seven before bowling out the visitors for just 121 in 16.3 overs. There was some consolation for the visitors as Andre Russell created a record in List A cricket by grabbing four wickets in as many balls in a sensational bowling effort which went in vain.
Before picking up two wickets, Yuvraj had stroked his way to a 35-ball 52, hitting four boundaries and three sixes. Both Unmukt Chand (47 off 29) and Kedar Jadhav (42 off 21) belted four fours and two sixes each in their brisk knocks.
Rahul was by far the most impressive bowler, returning impressive figures of five for 23 on a pitch where his teammates plundered runs at will. The win could be called a consolation for the hosts after the 1-2 defeat in the unofficial ODI series.
Earlier, after being carted around by the Indian batsmen, West Indies A found their man in Russell who dismissed Jadhav, Yuvraj (52), Naman Ojha (0) and Yusuf Pathan (0) off the first four deliveries of the penultimate over.
The damage had, however, been done by then as the hosts managed to go past 200. Seeking to make a comeback to the Indian team, Yuvraj put on a handy 80-run partnership for the fourth wicket with Jadhav, capitalising on a good start given by Uthappa and Chand for the first wicket. The opening duo put on 74 runs in 6.4 overs before they were separated.
Yuvraj was merciless against some wayward bowling and played shots at will before edging Russell to West Indies A captain Kieran Powell at midwicket.
Jadhav, who was sent into bat ahead of Yusuf, did not disappoint. Initially, Jadhav even outscored Yuvraj. He was a treat to watch as he collected runs with his lofted and ground shots. The Maharashtra lad fell to Russell after he mistimed a lofted shot. Other wicket-takers for West Indies were Ashley Nurse (2 for 18) and Veerasammy Permaul (1 for 35).
India got off to an excellent start as Uthappa and Chand, who looked out of sorts in the one-day games, played positively.
The duo matched each other stroke for stroke and were not afraid to take the aerial route. Just when the opening stand was looking ominous, Uthappa was trapped leg before off an arm ball by Veerasammy Permaul in the seventh over.
Three overs later, Chand was caught at midwicket by Kirk Edwards off Nurse. Nurse again struck, dismissing Baba Aparajith for three as he gave a straight catch to Edwards at miwicket, leaving India at 109 for three. Yuvraj and Jadhav then propelled India A to a big total.
Yuvraj was at it with the ball, too. Coming on to bowl with the visitors struggling at 55 for three after six overs, the skipper soon made an impact as he packed off second ODI centurion Jonathan Carter (6) and the dangerous Russell (12).
West Indies A soon collapsed with as many as 22 balls left in the innings.
Captain Powell (6) and Bonner (18) lost their wickets while trying to pull short-pitched stuffs from R Vinay Kumar and Jaydev Unadkat.
Rahul had Kirk Edwards caught by Pathan. The leggie then removed Andre Fletcher, Nurse, Devon Thomas and Beaton in his four-over spell. — PTI
India A 214/ 7 (Uthappa 35 Unmukt 47, Yuvraj 52, Jadhav 42, Russell 4/45, Nurse 2/18) bt West Indies A 121 (Fletcher 32, Thomas 21, Vinay Kumar 2/22, Rahul Sharma 5/23, Yuvraj 2/24.
Jaipur, September 21
Earlier, Mumbai Indians were struggling at 43 for four at one stage but Sharma stabilised the innings with his sensible batting while Kieron Pollard hit some lusty blows towards the end to up the run-rate.
Sharma's 44 came off 37 balls with three fours and two sixes while Pollard took 36 balls for his 42, laced with six boundaries including two sixes. The hosts had things under control under helpful conditions for paceman as it rained before the match but Mumbai scored 55 runs in the last five overs to make it a good contest.
Dwayne Smith (9) had began fantastically with an elegant cover drive off the first ball of the match but was trapped by Malik. The short ball kept low and Smith was caught plumb. Tendulkar punched two boundaries off James Faulkner and one off Shane Watson but the pitch had something for the bowlers, so the IPL champions made a steady start.
But things changed quickly as Malik bowled Dinesh Karthik (2) and Tendulkar (15) was caught behind off Stuart Binny when he tried to drive a good length ball.
As if that was not enough new batsman Ambati Rayudu (3) was run out after a mix up with skipper Sharma.
MI: 142/7 (Rohit 44, Pollard 42; Malik 3/24); RR: 148/3 in 19.4 ov (Samson 54, Rahane 33; R Dhawan 1/17) — PTI
Ranchi, September 21
Playing for the second time in front of his home crowd, Dhoni would know the importance of starting well in this competitive tournament after they failed to make the semifinals of the last edition in South Africa due to defeats in their first two encounters.
The two-time IPL champions boast of a star-studded line up with the likes of Dhoni, Murali Vijay, Faf du Plessis and Michael Hussey around whom the CSK batting will revolve.
Another distinct feature about this Chennai unit is the all-rounders present in their ranks. Players like Ravindra Jadeja, Albie Morkel, Dwayne Bravo and Suresh Raina are equally capable with both bat and ball and possess ability to change the complex of the game at any point. The team’s bowling attack will be led by Chris Morris, R Ashwin and Mohit Sharma.
On the other hand, the Titans will be buoyed by the presence of pacer Morne Morkel and AB De Villiers, and would bank on their valuable experience of the subcontinental condition to go the distance. — PTI
Vijender’s alma mater faces ban after scoring fracas
Chandigarh, September 21
The Bhiwani Boxing Club, or BBC as it is known, has been charged with ransacking the tournament venue, unruly behaviour and indiscipline during the 28th Sub-Junior Championships at Lohani, Bhiwani (August 7-11). In the firing line is none other than the Dronacharya Award-winner Jagdish Singh, who has been accused of smashing the electronic scoreboard and assaulting and intimidating tournament officials.
The Haryana State Boxing Association (HSBA) has barred the club and its athletes, across all age groups, from taking part in any state competition with immediate effect. The HSBA executive committee meeting in Palwal on Sunday will discuss the quantum of punishment for the unruly behaviour. The Indian Boxing Federation (IBF), it is learnt, too has given its tacit approval for the crackdown after it was found that the provocation for the slugfest was just a dispute over scoring during a bout.
The man who built the BBC brick-by-brick and gave Bhiwani its distinct identity is now getting brickbats from all corners, yet he is unperturbed.
“This federation is banned by the AIBA (international governing body)... Can they impose a ban on my club? It is laughable. There is no question of an apology or even of an explanation. They can do whatever they feel like doing,” he jabbed like an old pro.
The ban looks imminent as HSBA general secretary Rakesh Thakran indicated, “The executive committee will take a decision at the meeting. The club, along with three other clubs, has already been barred from all state championships. They were denied entry in the senior men’s state championship here in Palwal also.”
Sources say it could be one year or even more, which means that nearly 150 pugilists training at the club will be denied participating in 10 or more state championships, and thereby a berth in the nationals. At present, as many as six pugilists in the senior national camp at Patiala are from this club. The immediate fallout of the ban could be that the pugilists will either have to miss out for this year or gain entry by hook or crook into the state championship through other affiliates.
Over the years, the BBC had become an assembly line of national boxers in various age groups. Its protégés have won 159 international and countless national medals.
Interestingly, the ban comes at a time when the hallowed club has been accused of growing bigger in stature than the federation itself. Sources say IBF officials did not find it to their liking that the BBC was hogging all the limelight and leaving the parent body with nothing.