Dhoni raises more doubts
‘My vision was blurred’
Pietersen hits out at critics
Asian Champions Trophy
Lorenzo clips Stoner’s wings
Bolt fires team win
Paes-Bhupathi in pre-quarters
City golfers make clean sweep
Chester-Le-Street, September 4
"There are quite a few things (about that dismissal). There was no mark on the Hot Spot, no visual deflection and the umpire had given not out. The benefit of doubt in such cases go to the batsman," Dhoni said at the post-match press conference after the match was abandoned due to heavy rain.
"I still don't know how exactly he was given out. Whether it was off snickometer; whether snicko is allowed to be used; whether it was an audio technician or a third umpire who gave him out. There are any number of fair questions to be asked; why should not the benefit of doubt go to a batsman?" Dhoni asked.
Dhoni was worried at the ever-growing list of injured players in the Indian camp after Sachin Tendulkar and Rohit Sharma joined the casualty list list today. "We could do with 15 more players, initially I said what could have gone wrong did go wrong. But it has only increased since then," stated Dhoni.
While Tendulkar has an inflamed right toe, Rohit got his right index finger fractured during the Indian innings. "Coming from India and performing here straightaway can be difficult. We are fighting with whatever resources we've got. May be increasing the strength of the team can be the key. We could look at travelling with 18 players if needed," he said.
Dhoni confirmed that the team would be asking for Rohit's replacement straightaway as the right-handed batsman is definitely out for the rest of the series.
"Rohit would be visiting a specialist and it's almost certain he would not play any further in this series. Tendulkar will also see a specialist. It's an old injury which has flared up. He had practice with us last evening but this morning it flared up," Dhoni informed.
He said India would have won the match had England got only to 20 overs to play and with 164 to win. England were 27 for two in 7.2 overs when rain interrupted and match abandoned later.
"A lot has happened in this series. This alone (abandonment) was left. It could have been difficult for them to get close to 130 runs in 12 overs. It was a difficult target to achieve as we had bowled well in the first seven overs," he said.
The Indian captain was all praise for his top order batsmen for posting 274 for seven in their allotted 50 overs. "They (the openers) batted well. What was important was to see off new ball. It initially swings at this time of the year. What we wanted was stable partnership. They were careful initial but then nicely built up their innings. After Rahane was out, Parthiv made sure he had some partnership so that lower order batsmen could come and score runs.
Manoj Tiwary to
Manoj Tiwary was today named as replacement for Rohit Sharma who has been ruled out of the ongoing five-match ODI series against England due to a finger injury. Rohit fractured his index finger after being hit by a Stuart Broad delivery in the 38th over of India's innings in the first one-dayer at Chester-le-Street yesterday. Rohit did not bat after that hit, the first ball the middle order batsman faced after coming in at number five. Tiwary, a prolific scorer for Bengal in the domestic circuit, will join the team at the earliest. "Rohit Sharma fractured his right index finger during the first ODI against England, and has been ruled out of the remainder of the series as a result," the BCCI said in a statement. "Manoj Tiwary has been named his replacement in the India ODI squad. He will join the team at the earliest," Cricket Board secretary N Srinivasan said in the statement.
Manoj Tiwary was today named as replacement for Rohit Sharma who has been ruled out of the ongoing five-match ODI series against England due to a finger injury.
Rohit fractured his index finger after being hit by a Stuart Broad delivery in the 38th over of India's innings in the first one-dayer at Chester-le-Street yesterday. Rohit did not bat after that hit, the first ball the middle order batsman faced after coming in at number five.
Tiwary, a prolific scorer for Bengal in the domestic circuit, will join the team at the earliest. "Rohit Sharma fractured his right index finger during the first ODI against England, and has been ruled out of the remainder of the series as a result," the BCCI said in a statement.
"Manoj Tiwary has been named his replacement in the India ODI squad. He will join the team at the earliest," Cricket Board secretary N Srinivasan said in the statement. — PTI
New Delhi, September 4
Gambhir is recovering from the effects of an awkward tumble he took during The Oval Test. The opener's vision was left blurred due to the concussion forcing him out of the ongoing ODIs.
He has been advised rest for 10 days. "The doctors said if you are still dizzy and puking, these are clear symptoms of concussion," Gambhir said. "If I looked down, I felt like puking. If I tried to focus on one object, that made me feel dizzy. The vision remained blurry," he explained.
Before this, Gambhir had hurt his elbow which forced him to sit out of the third Test, a decision that drew flak from some quarters with some former players suggesting that he could have played through pain and helped India's cause. The team was whitewashed 0-4 in the Tests.
"Look, you are not just blocking, which is what was required at Lord's. This was a new Test. It was not just about time, you had to score runs, you had to field, you had to last five days," Gambhir explained.
"The pain in the elbow was massive. It might be easy for an outsider to say that it is not broken and he can play, but the pain was too much. I experienced it during the nets and the throwdowns before the match.
"And an elbow injury is different from a hand injury, which was the case in Cape Town. You can bat with a swollen hand, but it is very difficult to bat with a painful elbow," he added.
"You can't even get down to thinking of the performance when you have batted through injury three out of the six innings," he retorted.
Gambhir said playing with the concussion after that would have jeopardised the team's chances even more. "If your vision is blurry, if you can't focus on one object, if you can't judge the pace of the ball or its trajectory, not only are you putting yourself at risk, you are also letting your team and your country down," Gambhir said. — PTI
London, September 4
The 31-year-old Pietersen, who was part of England's victorious Test and Twenty20 squads, has been rested from the ongoing five-match ODI series against India.
But the middle-order batsman made it clear that he has every intention of continuing, and the 'rest' given to him by the national selectors will help England's quest to be number one in one-day cricket as well as Tests.
"I've got two Twenty20s versus the West Indies later this month at The Oval and then we leave on October 3 for the one-day series in India, which is five one-day internationals and a Twenty20.
"I'd love to play in all six games in India. You can never say you won't have an injury or that you're a dead cert for selection, but I'd love to play in every game, of course. I'm planning to play on for another four or five years, which will incorporate another couple of Ashes series," Pietersen was quoted as saying by the 'Daily Mail'.
"There's no doubt that England's success is also partly down to the fact that the players are rested when they can. International cricket can be a constant slog. I think India have got to that point now.
"The demands on the top players, especially if they play all three forms of international cricket, are immense. Maybe that's why we haven't quite got there yet in one-day cricket. But we're working on it," he added.
England and Wales Cricket Board ( ECB) has asked Pietersen's county club Surrey that he must not play for the rest of their campaign even though they play a CB40 semifinal against Sussex on next Sunday.
His next appearance will come against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates in January next year. — PTI
Asian Champions Trophy
Ordos, September 4
After the power-packed 5-0 win over China in their tournament opener yesterday, the match against Japan turned out to be anti-climax for the Indians. For India Gurwinder Singh Chandi (22nd minute) scored his second goal of the tournament while Naoto Shiokawa equalised for Japan in the 69th minute.
India now have four points from two matches while the Japanese, who had lost their opening encounter 2-3 against South Korea, have one in their kitty.
Against Japan today, the Indians did all the hard work and should have won by a larger margin but for the errors committed by the forward line. However, it was Japan which started strongly with three forwards raiding the Indian defence but young Rupinder Pal Singh and V Raghunath held firm.
Upfront, the India forwards did well but lacked cohesion. They attacked in groups of four-five players both from the middle as well as from the flanks, but lacked co-ordination inside the Japanese striking circle.
Women lose 1-4
The Indian women's hockey team failed to emulate their male counterparts and started their Asian Champions Trophy campaign on a disappointing note, losing 1-4 to formidable Korea here today. Contrary to the scoreline, it was the Indian eves who started brightly and dominated the first 15 minutes of the exchange. However, after the initial burst the Indian lost gas and the Koreans were quick to seize the opportunity and opened the scoring in the 19th minute through Jong Eun Kim. The Koreans pumped in three more goals in the second half through Mi Hyun Park and Seul Ki Cheon, while India managed to reduce the margin through Joydeep Kaur, who converted their fifth penalty corner. If not for the defensive trio of Mukta Barla, Jaspreet Kaur and Joydeep Kaur, who played their hearts out, the margin of defeat could have bigger for India. Even though the Indian forward-line had the Koreans on the mat in the initial minutes, they lacked scoring prowess.
The Indian women's hockey team failed to emulate their male counterparts and started their Asian Champions Trophy campaign on a disappointing note, losing 1-4 to formidable Korea here today.
Contrary to the scoreline, it was the Indian eves who started brightly and dominated the first 15 minutes of the exchange. However, after the initial burst the Indian lost gas and the Koreans were quick to seize the opportunity and opened the scoring in the 19th minute through Jong Eun Kim.
The Koreans pumped in three more goals in the second half through Mi Hyun Park and Seul Ki Cheon, while India managed to reduce the margin through Joydeep Kaur, who converted their fifth penalty corner. If not for the defensive trio of Mukta Barla, Jaspreet Kaur and Joydeep Kaur, who played their hearts out, the margin of defeat could have bigger for India. Even though the Indian forward-line had the Koreans on the mat in the initial minutes, they lacked scoring prowess. — PTI
Misano, September 4
The 24-year-old Spaniard came home clear of compatriot Dani Pedrosa, riding a Honda, while series leader Casey Stoner of Australia, who started from pole, was third, also on a Honda.
Lorenzo, who celebrated by hurdling the barrier between him and his mechanics, landing in their arms, reduced the gap between him and Stoner to 35 points.
Stoner was gracious in defeat but, worryingly, his reasons for losing suggested that he might be falling victim to a mystery illness he has had before when he complained of feeling weary.
"There is no excuses as everything felt really good including the bike," said 25-year-old Stoner, who was world champion in 2007. I didn't want to push too hard in the rain at the start and was content to sit in behind Lorenzo.
"I felt comfortable just behind Lorenzo and then made an attack but when I tried to go for it I felt tired, my arms especially. I was worn out. No excuses I am just worn out after the last three races (including two in America)."
Meanwhile, Lorenzo was ecstatic to be back on the top step of the podium. "I really needed this victory because the last two races have been a nightmare so to be back with a really good bike is great," said Lorenzo. — AFP
Bolt fires team win
Daegu, September 4
The double Olympic sprint champion and world record holder teamed up with Nesta Carter, Michael Frater and Yohan Blake to better the mark of 37.10 seconds the Jamaicans ran to win gold at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
Bolt, who ran the third leg in Beijing, took over the anchor role in the absence of injured former world record holder Asafa Powell and received the baton from Blake, his successor as 100m world champion, with a commanding lead.
The 24-year-old hurtled down the straight well clear of the field with his eyes fixed on the clock before crossing the line and tossing the baton into the air in delight having helped set the only world record at the 13th world championships.
France finished second a world championship record 1.16 seconds behind the dominant Jamaicans to win the silver medal in 38.20 with Saint Kitts and Nevis claiming bronze in 38.49.
The Americans, who had never been beaten in a world championship 4x100m final, failed to finish after their third-leg runner Darvis Patton clipped a British athlete and fell over before attempting to pass the baton to Walter Dix. The British quartet also failed to finish. — Reuters
New York, September 4
Somdev and Huey upstaged 14th seeds Argentines Juan Ignacio Chela and Eduardo Schwank 6-3 6-4 in a battle that lasted for an hour and six minutes.
Somdev and Treat hit three aces and broke their rivals twice, even as the Argentines squandered their three chances.
Fourth seeds Paes and Bhupathi beat German Florian Mayer and Rogier Wassen of the Netherlands 7-6 (5) 6-2 in an 85-minute second-round clash here.
Paes and Bhupathi stumbled to a lot of unforced errors but the Indian pair made it up by sending down five aces and besides breaking their rivals thrice.
Earlier, fifth seeded Indo-Pak pair of Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi beat American James Cerretani and Philipp Marx of Germany 7-6 (3) 7-6 (4) in a match that lasted for one hour and 39 minutes here.
Bopanna and Qureshi will take on Paul Hanley of Australia and Belgium's Dick Norman in the quarterfinals. — PTI
Chandigarh, September 4
In Category A and B, Valley Delhi represented by Ankur Chadha (76, 69) and Arkin Khosla stood first and Team DAV (Sector 15) Chandigarh represented by Feroz Garewal (71, 78) and Jairaj Sandhu (83, 79) came second. In Categories C & D, teams from Chandigarh made a clean sweep claiming the first and second positions. Winners: Team St John’s High School Chandigarh comprising Karandeep Kochar (76, 73) and Jaiveer Singh (76, 76) Runners up: Team Vivek High School comprising Adilbir Singh (78, 75) and Aadil Bedi (79, 75).
In the individual events following city golfers excelled in different categories:
Category-B: Feroz Garewal 1st (71, 78). He won in an exciting play-off of 2 holes beating Piyush Sangwan of Delhi. Category-C: Karandeep Kochar 1st (76,73), Jaiveer Sandhu 2nd (76,76), Adilbir Singh 3rd (78+75). Category D: Aadil Bedi 1st (79,75). Aadil Bedi defeated Sunhit Kumar in the play-off.
All six players from the city, who won in respective categories in this tournament, are coached by Jesse Garewal at CGA Range Chandigarh. Top Indian pro golfer Manav Jaini gave away the prizes. — TNS
Bjorn claims Montana title
PCB take offence at NZ ad
Maini brothers win race
Oldest tennis player dies
Yuvraj inspires Yuvraj
Homologation done for India's F1 track
Gangjee 33rd at Mylan Classic