From the lap of luxury to a life devoted to social service
Politician, social worker and a descendant from a royal family, Malvika Pathania, the protagonist of the pahari woman manages all the roles with ease and perfection.
Welfare schemes taste success in Mandi
After claiming to have achieved over 80 per cent of the target, Mandi district social welfare department has set up a daunting task of achieving the remaining 20 per cent - envisaged in a dozen welfare schemes meant for the schedule castes, physically challenged, widows, OBCs and other deprived sections - by end of this month.
The country’s first newspaper was born in Shimla in 1848. The Shimla Akhbar came out lithographed in Persian and had a circulation of only 30 copies!
on Himachal Pradesh released by the Chief
Minister on 15th. March is hailed as a new beginning. My article
Girls from Himachal Pradesh
had two immediate responses. One from
Chandigarh: "Good to read you as Khushwant Singh of Himachal."
The “queen of hills” is known for its tricky weather. This winter it has lived up to its reputation to the hilt. The first half of March witnessed arctic conditions with mercury touching the freezing point twice in the first week.
Lazing around: While these two friends do some catching up on the Ridge, their third
friend chooses to take a nap.
Joining hands for Choor Dhar
Setting an example of ‘peoples action for the development’ by crossing all social, cultural and area boundaries, residents of Himachal Pradesh and Uttrakhand have joined hands to develop Choor Dhar Hills also known as heaven of adventure for tourists and trackers all over country. For the lakhs of residents of this part of country, it is a holy religious place dedicated to Lord
Shirgul, incarnation of Lord Shiva.
Saving tender lives
In a new initiative to check the spread of deadly HIV/AIDS virus from mother to child, the state government has decided to provide free artificial milk to new born babies upto two years of age in case the lactating mother tests HIV positive. This step is aimed at encouraging mothers to go for the HIV test at the Voluntary Confidential Testing Centre (VCTC) to check spread of HIV virus. It will also encourage institutional deliveries as government is running 24-hours delivery centers under the National Rural Health Mission (RHM) programme.
Wait is on: Pharma cos yet to go bilingual
The introduction of bilingual labelling norms by the Union Ministry of Chemicals and Petrochem-icals for the pharmaceutical industry appears to have found little purpose. Though some companies have adopted the norm enforced since October 2, the system is yet to set in the market.
One of the pharmaceutical firms that has adopted the bilingual norm partially.
Trailing the herbal path
A fresh spring of hope came to the Herbs Antique Research Botanical (HARB) Society recently when around 19 herbal formulas were granted approval by the government for commercial production. With production of medicines, herbal water and beauty products are likely to get a boost and the nearby areas of Chandigarh, Punjab and Haryana will soon too be walking the herbal path.
Dog love brings fame
A young veterinarian from Hamirpur brought in laurels to his district by grabbing the ‘Field Veterinarians Best Presentation Award’ awarded by the Indian Society for Veterinary Medicine
(IVSM) recently. Dr. Pardeep Sharma, presently posted as Veterinary Officer at Government Veterinary Hospital, Tikkar in Rohroo area of Shimla has been given the prestigious award for his new findings in the field of diseases in pet kennels.