TrendingVideosIndia
Opinions | CommentEditorialsThe MiddleLetters to the EditorReflections
UPSC | Exam ScheduleExam Mentor
State | Himachal PradeshPunjabJammu & KashmirHaryanaChhattisgarhMadhya PradeshRajasthanUttarakhandUttar Pradesh
City | ChandigarhAmritsarJalandharLudhianaDelhiPatialaBathindaShaharnama
World | ChinaUnited StatesPakistan
Diaspora
Features | The Tribune ScienceTime CapsuleSpectrumIn-DepthTravelFood
Business | My MoneyAutoZone
News Columns | Straight DriveCanada CallingLondon LetterKashmir AngleJammu JournalInside the CapitalHimachal CallingHill View
Don't Miss
Advertisement

Haryana's scheme for EWS students fares poorly, only 6% seats sought

Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium

Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Yearly Premium ₹999 ₹349/Year
Yearly Premium $49 $24.99/Year
Advertisement

Ravinder Saini

Advertisement

Advertisement

Rohtak, July 12

The CHEERAG (CM Haryana Equal Education Relief, Assistance and Grant) Scheme, which provides for free education to economically weaker section (EWS) children in private schools from Class II to XII, has evoked a tepid response.

Only 1,470 applications have been received against 24,987 seats reserved under the CHEERAG scheme in 381 private schools across the state. This comes to just six per cent of the total seats. The last date to apply was July 8. Not a single application was received in six districts — Rohtak, Karnal, Mahendragarh, Mewat, Palwal and Panchkula — and less than 10 were received in Ambala, Jhajjar, Sirsa and Yamunanagar districts.

Advertisement

At 615, Hisar received the highest number of applications followed by Jind (256) and Sonepat (177) and Bhiwani (117), sources say. Only those students, who passed their previous class from a government school, are eligible to apply under the scheme that was launched this year. Students can take admission only in those private schools located in the block where they were previously studying.

“Only a few schools have adopted the scheme. Some of the schools are far, hence parents are not keen to send their wards there,” a school owner said.

Another reason for the lukewarm response was that the scheme was only for government students, he said. Sources say before launching the scheme, all private schools were given the option to adopt it, but the majority of the institutions did not show interest.

Sunil Dutt, District Education Officer, Mahendragarh, said: “In all, 21 private schools in the district have adopted the scheme. However, not a single application was received. The reasons are being ascertained.”Neither Education Minister Kanwar Pal Gujjar nor Additional Chief Secretary (School Education) Mahavir Singh could be contacted in spite of repeated attempts.

No application in six districts

Advertisement
Show comments
Advertisement