No progress in probe into post-deadline purchase of paddy at Kaithal centres
Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium
Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only BenefitsOver a week after an inquiry was ordered into alleged irregularities in paddy procurement at the Cheeka grain market and Arnoli purchase centre in Kaithal district, no progress has been made on the report sought from SDM Guhla by the Deputy Commissioner.
Despite the Haryana Government officially closing procurement on November 15, official records reveal that arrivals continued till midnight and procurement was carried out on November 16, pointing towards possible large-scale irregularities.
Deputy Commissioner Kaithal Preeti confirmed that she has not yet received the inquiry report, saying, “Let the report be submitted. Action will be decided accordingly.”
She also said that the administration is still waiting for the complainant to appear before the authorities. “The complainant did not appear. One more chance has been given,” she said, even though CCTV footage and procurement data are already available with the administration.
An insider within the Haryana State Agricultural Marketing Board (HSAMB) said that 48 gate passes were issued after the official closure time in Cheeka and 68 gate passes at the Arnoli purchase centre, raising serious questions over how paddy continued arriving when the government had already closed procurement. He claimed that no procurement was recorded at Cheeka and Arnoli for a couple of days before the close of the season. But suddenly, a large quantity arrived late on the last day, and procurement was shown on the next day, which was a Sunday. He maintained that, as per policy, procurement cannot be done on Sundays.
“The issuing of gate passes and procurement beyond the cut-off raises suspicions of proxy procurement, possibly facilitated to benefit certain millers,” he said.
After the issue came to light, DC Preeti ordered an inquiry and asked SDM Guhla to examine all documentation and identify procedural lapses. However, no report has been submitted so far.
Farmer leaders alleged that authorities are hiding the truth and demanded an inquiry by a sitting judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court into the entire procurement process in Kaithal and other districts, where paddy arrivals have surpassed last year’s figures despite a fall in yield due to floods and heavy rainfall.
Vikram Kasana, state youth president of BKU (Charuni), said that the investigation was an eyewash, saying in the past seven days, the authorities could not complete an inquiry. It appears, he said, that the district administration is not serious about the issue, even though it has all the records and CCTV footage needed to verify physical arrivals at these centres after the official closure of procurement. “We demand an inquiry by a sitting judge of the High Court,” he said.
He said that a couple of farmers of Guhla area have raised the issue with the CM and higher authorities of the Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs Department for a fair inquiry.