TrendingVideosIndia
Opinions | CommentEditorialsThe MiddleLetters to the EditorReflections
UPSC | Exam ScheduleExam Mentor
State | Himachal PradeshPunjabJammu & KashmirHaryanaChhattisgarhMadhya PradeshRajasthanUttarakhandUttar Pradesh
City | ChandigarhAmritsarJalandharLudhianaDelhiPatialaBathindaShaharnama
World | ChinaUnited StatesPakistan
Diaspora
Features | The Tribune ScienceTime CapsuleSpectrumIn-DepthTravelFood
Business | My MoneyAutoZone
News Columns | Straight DriveCanada CallingLondon LetterKashmir AngleJammu JournalInside the CapitalHimachal CallingHill View
Don't Miss
Advertisement

Shah visits bloodbath site; NIA joins probe

Massive manhunt launched
Army officials brief Home Minister Amit Shah on Pahalgam terrorist attack as he arrives at Baisaran meadow in Pahalgam. ANI

Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium

Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Yearly Premium ₹999 ₹349/Year
Yearly Premium $49 $24.99/Year
Advertisement

A day after 25 tourists and a local resident were killed in a terror attack in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district, security forces launched a massive manhunt in the forests around Pahalgam on Wednesday.

Advertisement

Home Minister Amit Shah visited the attack site at the Baisaran meadows to assess the situation. Security forces sealed off the Pahalgam resort to outsiders and carried out intensive combing operations in the surrounding forest areas, which connect to the Kokernag belt and further to Doda and Kishtwar in the Jammu region — areas known for militant activity.

Advertisement

Security sources told The Tribune at least three attackers are believed to have carried out the assault, though the number could be higher. “They appeared in the meadow and began shooting after asking the victims’ names. They targeted only men and fired from close range,” a senior official said, adding that local militants were likely among the attackers.

The assailants were reportedly armed with M4 and AK-47 rifles, and officials suspect they belong to a “highly trained” group already operating in the region.

A National Investigation Agency (NIA) team also reached the site to join the probe.

Advertisement

Earlier in the day, Shah, accompanied by Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, visited the Police Control Room in Srinagar to pay tribute to the victims. He later met with the grieving families, many of whom broke down in tears.

Rs 20 lakh reward announced

The J&K Police on Wednesday announced a reward of Rs 20 lakh for any information leading to the neutralisation of the terrorists involved in the attack.

“With a heavy heart, paid last respects to the deceased of the Pahalgam terror attack. Bharat will not bend to terror. The culprits of this dastardly terror attack will not be spared,” Shah posted on X.

Shah was briefed on the ground situation at Baisaran meadows by senior security officials, including DGP Nalin Prabhat and Lieutenant General Prashant Srivastava, General Officer Commanding of the Army’s 15 Corps. He also visited the Government Medical College in Anantnag to meet injured tourists undergoing treatment.

Officials in Srinagar said all 25 bodies have been sent to their respective states, accompanied by family members, via civilian flights.

Meanwhile, Omar announced an all-party meeting on Thursday afternoon. “I have sent invitations to all major political parties, all honourable Members of Parliament from J&K and the Leader of Opposition in the J&K Assembly,” he wrote on X.

The J&K Police have registered an FIR under Sections 103, 109, 61 of the BNS, 7/27 of the Arms Act and Sections 16, 18 and 20 of UAPA. One Additional SP-level officer has been designated as investigating officer in the case.

Advertisement
Show comments
Advertisement