1,200 people evacuated from flood-hit areas to safer locations, says Mundian
Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium
Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only BenefitsPunjab Revenue, Rehabilitation and Disaster Management Minister Hardeep Singh Mundian today informed that around 1,200 members of 250 families were shifted to safer places by the district administration.
Reviewing the situation today at Kammewal and Baguval village, the Cabinet Minister said Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann-led government was extending every possible support to the people in this hour of crisis.
“Around 800 houses in Kapurthala district have been impacted by floods. Constant appeals are being made to residents to move to safer places,” Mundian said, adding that several people were unwilling to leave due to emotional attachment with their homes.
“Considering their concerns, the Punjab Government has ensured supply of food, clean drinking water, medicines and fodder for cattle through 15 boats operating round the clock. Families, who agree with the appeal, are being shifted to designated relief camps,” he said.
The Cabinet Minister said water levels had receded slightly with a reduction of 26,000 cusecs today and normalcy was expected to return soon in the district. He further said on people’s demand, tarpaulins, mosquito nets, repellent creams and other essential items were being provided to them on priority.
The Health Department was extending medical facilities, while the Animal Husbandry Department was attending to the livestock, he said.
During his visit, the Cabinet Minister sat with elderly women on cots, shared tea and interacted with them, assuring that the Punjab Government would make every possible effort for their welfare.
Villagers asked minister to ensure supply of seeds and fertilisers on priority for vegetable cultivation after flood-water receded.
Deputy Commissioner Amit Kumar Panchal, Improvement Trust Chairman Sajjan Singh Cheema, SSP Gaurav Toora, Science and Technology Board member Kanwar Iqbal Singh, SDM Major Ervin Kaur and others accompanied the minister during his visit to villages.
Briefs CM on flood-relief operation in Kapurthala
Punjab’s Revenue Minister Hardeep Singh Mundian on Friday briefed Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann through video conference about the ongoing relief operations in the flood-affected areas of Kapurthala district.
The Punjab Government has appointed Mundian as in-charge of effective supervision of the relief operations in the flood-hit areas of Kapurthala district. During his third consecutive visit to Kapurthala district, he participated in a video conference with Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann at the District Administrative Complex along with Deputy Commissioner Amit Kumar Panchal and other officials. He informed the Chief Minister that relief operations were being carried out on a war footing in Sultanpur Lodhi and Dhilwan, the flood-affected areas of Kapurthala district.
Considering rising water level in the Beas river, people were sifted with the help of the SDRF and the Army to safer places, said Mundian. He said no loss of human life was reported. Around 240 families and their essential belongings were shifted safely, he said.
At present, two SDRF teams and Army units with 40 soldiers had been deployed in the rescue operations. Fifteen boats were being used to rescue stranded people. Relief centres were operational at Lakh Waryan, Ahalikalan, Talwandi Kuka, and Fazalabad, where 110 people were staying. Arrangements for shelter, ration and medicines was made at these centres.
“As per preliminary estimates, around 28,000 acres of crops in Kapurthala, Sultanpur Lodhi, and Bholath tehsils have been affected by floods. Compensation will be provided after special girdawari (crop damage survey),” the minister said.