TrendingVideosIndia
Opinions | CommentEditorialsThe MiddleLetters to the EditorReflections
UPSC | Exam ScheduleExam Mentor
State | Himachal PradeshPunjabJammu & KashmirHaryanaChhattisgarhMadhya PradeshRajasthanUttarakhandUttar Pradesh
City | ChandigarhAmritsarJalandharLudhianaDelhiPatialaBathindaShaharnama
World | ChinaUnited StatesPakistan
Diaspora
Features | The Tribune ScienceTime CapsuleSpectrumIn-DepthTravelFood
Business | My MoneyAutoZone
News Columns | Straight DriveCanada CallingLondon LetterKashmir AngleJammu JournalInside the CapitalHimachal CallingHill View
Don't Miss
Advertisement

Stranded Indians to be evacuated from 31 countries in second phase of ‘Vande Bharat Mission’

Air India and Air India Express will operate 149 flights in the second phase

Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium

Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Yearly Premium ₹999 ₹349/Year
Yearly Premium $49 $24.99/Year
Advertisement

New Delhi, May 12

Advertisement

India will carry out the second phase of its mega evacuation mission from May 16 to 22, under which stranded Indians would be brought back from 31 countries in 149 flights, official sources said.

Advertisement

The government launched the ‘Vande Bharat Mission’ on May 7 to bring those Indians back who were stranded in various countries due to the COVID-related restrictions.

Under the phase one of the mission, the government has evacuated a total of 6,527 Indians from the Gulf region as well as countries like the US, the UK, the Philippines, Bangladesh, Malaysia and the Maldives.

In the second phase of the evacuation mission, the government will bring back people from Canada, Oman, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, France, Tajikistan, Singapore, the US, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Qatar, Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Japan, Kuwait and Italy.

Advertisement

Indians will also be evacuated from Nepal, Nigeria, Belarus, Armenia, Thailand, Ireland, Germany, Georgia and the UK.

“In the second phase, Air India and Air India Express will operate 149 flights,” an airline official said.

Till last week, a total of around 68,000 Indians found eligible under government’s criteria of having “compelling reasons” to be brought back home, registered for evacuation by flight under the ‘Vande Bharat Mission’, sources said.

As per government’s policy for evacuation, Indians having compelling reasons to return like pregnant women, elderly people, students and those facing the prospect of deportation are being brought back home.

In the first phase, the government had planned to evacuate around 15,000 people from 12 countries in 64 flights.

India has been under lockdown since March 25 to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus, which has infected more than 70,000 people and killed around 2,290 people in the country till now. All scheduled commercial passenger flights have been suspended for the lockdown period. PTI

Advertisement
Show comments
Advertisement