TrendingVideosIndia
Opinions | CommentEditorialsThe MiddleLetters to the EditorReflections
UPSC | Exam ScheduleExam Mentor
State | Himachal PradeshPunjabJammu & KashmirHaryanaChhattisgarhMadhya PradeshRajasthanUttarakhandUttar Pradesh
City | ChandigarhAmritsarJalandharLudhianaDelhiPatialaBathindaShaharnama
World | ChinaUnited StatesPakistan
Diaspora
Features | The Tribune ScienceTime CapsuleSpectrumIn-DepthTravelFood
Business | My MoneyAutoZone
News Columns | Straight DriveCanada CallingLondon LetterKashmir AngleJammu JournalInside the CapitalHimachal CallingHill View
Don't Miss
Advertisement

Supreme Court wants all migrants moved in 15 days

Centre says no death on Shramik trains due to lack of food, water, medication

Unlock Exclusive Insights with The Tribune Premium

Take your experience further with Premium access. Thought-provoking Opinions, Expert Analysis, In-depth Insights and other Member Only Benefits
Yearly Premium ₹999 ₹349/Year
Yearly Premium $49 $24.99/Year
Advertisement

New Delhi, June 5

Advertisement

The Supreme Court today indicated that it intended to give 15 days to the Centre and state governments to send home all migrant workers still stuck across the country due to the Covid-19 lockdown.

Advertisement

The court said all those wanting to go back home should be registered by the authorities for extending benefits of welfare measures, including employment opportunities. The observation came during a hearing on a PIL on migrant workers’ plight before a Bench headed by Justice Ashok Bhushan. The Bench took note of the submissions of the Centre and the state governments on steps taken to mitigate misery of stranded migrant workers.

Last month, the apex court had taken suo motu cognisance of migrant workers’ miseries and ordered states to provide them free food, shelter and travel. The Centre today informed the court that no migrant worker had died on Shramik Special trains due to lack of food, water or medication. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta denied any negligence on part of the Railways and the GRP.

All reported deaths had occurred due to pre-existing ailments, Mehta claimed. He said 4,228 trains had ferried home over one crore migrant workers till June 3 and 90 per cent of them had already reached their native places. However, he said 171 more trains were needed.

Advertisement

After hearing arguments of advocates representing the Centre, states, UTs and others, the Bench said it would pronounce its verdict on June 9. — TNS

Permits NHRC to intervene

The Supreme Court allowed the National Human Rights Commission to intervene in the case regarding the plight of the stranded workers. The NHRC, in its intervention plea, gave “short-term and long-term measures” for consideration of the apex court to alleviate the migrant workers’ plight and to ensure that their rights were not violated. “States should collect the data of migrant workers at the point of departure in the originating state as well on arrival in the destination state,” it said.

Centre’s claim

Advertisement
Show comments
Advertisement